SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highendredneck

Do you think tastes in trends are more regional or more age based?

highendredneck
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had an interesting conversation with a realtor over the weekend. She primarily sells high end houses in the Fort Worth Texas area (especially lake front). I was in her home - lake front, 3,000 ish square feet, custom pool, outdoor kitchen - very pretty. She (gasp) had her cabinets refinished using gel stain. I complimented her cabinets and she opened one to show me the original color, which was pickled. We got into a discussion about re-doing kitchens and I mentioned that I was gelstaining mine but had considered paint... Which led me to asking her thoughts on painting cabinets and she said some interesting things.

Her thoughts on paint is that in our area it is something that is not generally accepted by people who can afford the houses that she sells. She said that she isn't sure if it is just the area or if it is the age of her clients tending to be a bit more middle age and older. She said that many of her clients perceive the painted cabinets as cheap.

I know that many of the home magazines come out of the northeast and I do understand the current trends fitting into those houses beautifully but wonder if the different geographic areas have trends that don't fit the "magazine" look. When I was house shopping a couple of years ago (not huge lake front, btw), the only painted cabinets that I saw were in "flipper" houses. Everything else was stain. I looked at a cross section of new construction to 40 year old houses. I will do what I love and not worry about resale, but I am still curious. Do you think trends are more regional or more age based or something else?

Comments (22)