SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lafdr

Would you choose more garage and/or more bedrooms and/or views?

lafdr
11 years ago

And it is not that simple.........both houses are in the same price range and built around the same time. Totally different neighborhoods.

House one is on the flat portion of a hill with spectacular views. 4 bedrooms, 4 bath. Only one living room area. 4 car garage. The only work needed is a fence in back to keep my dogs in, and yes a fence is allowed. I can live with the dated fixtures for now, and the layout is good. The position on the hill is just right so it is very private from the neighbors. Literally 180 degree views from much of the house and back porch/yard. Huge closets in all bedrooms. This house is at the edge of a less desirable neighborhood with lots of older apartments and fast food places. But the other direction is a nice development with even more expensive newer homes.

House 2 is in a gated community. (low hoa of 34$/month for gate maintenance). The house backs on a a nature preserve with no houses to the back. Views are trees, not houses. But not the expansive views and city lights of the first house. House 2 has a more updated feel and finishes are good as is. 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 1 living room. 2 car garage. Plus a one bed, living room, bath, kitchen detached guest house.Smaller bedroom closets, but more big closets through the house.Layout is good.

We have two teens. So in both houses, we would use one of the bedrooms as a tv room/hang out room. In the first house that would have to also be the guest room. In the second house, we could use the guest house for guests. But the guest house might be largely unused otherwise.

Both have an office area off the master which I am excited about!

We have 3 cars and a motorcycle. So a 4 car garage is perfect. But, it may be worth parking two cars not in the garage if house #2 is right.

Argh, I would like the house with the guest house, but placed up on the hill with views, with a bigger garage.

Even though house number one is near apartments, it is walking distance to restaurants and Walgreens, maybe ten minutes. House number 2 is a much longer walk to a store, maybe 30 minutes. Both houses seem to be in a quiet neighborhood down deadend streets. It is just that house number 1 is not far from a major road. House 2 is near nice walking trails along the river and nature center.

I really think I like house number 2, but the views of number one are pretty amazing.

I am not sure if I will enjoy sitting in the living room of a house I like better on the inside, or looking out the windows at the views I like better????!!!!!

Our current house has a big yard we want to downsize as well as a long commute. Both of the houses address these issues. House 1 has well and septic, which we have now. House 2 is city water and sewer. House 1 has lower ceilings, so less cubic feet to heat and cool. Both homes have been very well cared for and have had new roofs in the past few years.

The homes are midway between kids schools. One closer to one, the other closer to the other. Same with my husband and my work. The houses are maybe 10 minutes from each other on the roads. Interestingly, I realized they are almost in site of eachother across a river. But you have to go around to a bridge to get between them.

Perhaps I should add that house number 1 is low $ per square foot for comparable houses in the neighborhood. It has big rooms, but not many of them, and is a little dated(brass fixtures on everything including recessed light housings) so I think they have had to keep lowering priceto compete with nearby brand new homes. House 2 is one of the 2 most expensive houses within the gated community based on prior sales prices. It is a nice neighborhood, but includes attached/town homes as well as single family. And the one we liked is single family on one of the few double lots.

What would you choose and why?

Thank you for any advice and feedback. I know we all value different things and I am not asking anyone to choose for me. I am just curious to hear how you would choose, to help me think it through.

If one house sells before we are ready to make an offer, we don't have to make a choice!And even once we make an offer there may be problems found on inspection.

Comments (18)