SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

More, more & more companion plants

sherryocala
14 years ago

(Reader beware: it has occurred to me that this is one very boring post, but I had to put my excitement down on 'paper', and you guys are always up for such details so I blurted it all out (commons names only - I'm still new at this!) Thanks for listening. I think it's all going to be worth the aching body and dog-tiredness.)

I have plopped them everywhere, and I'm absolutely loving them. The prospects of having the spaces between the roses filled in with greens and pinks and white and purples causes my heart to race. I've been buying and planting in fairly large numbers, not knowing at all what the effect will be, what I think will grow here and what I like but sometimes settling for second choices. Back in January after the hard freezes I managed to get a couple of flats of dianthus, the mounding kind with white flowers, for literally pennies. I dotted the front garden with them. I like the look of the fresh green patches better than yards and yards of brown mulch. I need more. I got two 1-gallon pots of dwarf delphinium, the most gorgeous irridescent blue I've ever seen, and managed to get 3 plants from each pot. I may get more. I had 2 bright bi-color dianthus left from last year that are coming back - one of them great guns. Last year I planted 2 coneflowers, one died and the other has had several babies this spring. Nothing could be more exciting to me!! I may have to make the trip to that nursery for more. Last Sept I planted a bunch of mauvy mums and pentas on the yellow side of the front. The freezes got the pentas, but the mums are mounding up and green again. Pink and magenta snapdragons are new and are actually starting to grow. May get more, but I don't know how long they'll last in the heat. The plan was to have swatches of colors based on the roses moving around the circle. I may not have been entirely consistent though. I fell in love with a strawflower plant which turns out to be a tad bright, but what the heck. I even put in a couple of double peachy hibiscus (which I'll probably be fighting to keep less than giant) and 3 yellow dwarf cannas. Oh, and several after-freeze-priced plumbagos. And a 'May Night' salvia,and a couple of marguerites - yellow & pink.

Got some baby blue nemesia which turned out to be so lovely I went back for more but found none, so I substituted a flat of 10 purple angelica - must go back for more! Lowe's gets 3 shipments a week, so I'll be looking for more nemesia. Begonias are very popular in Florida, I guess because they can take the heat and the wet, but I wasn't big on them until I planted a few pink ones under Jean Bach Sisley. What a nice effect. So I got more pinks and some reds. Going back for more because I really like the bronzy leaves of the red ones. Close-up the red looks too orange but in the bed it's perfect. Last fall I got two big orders of daylilies (buy 1 get 2 free!) so there are color coordinated reblooming daylilies everywhere. I want to get more this spring but really, Sherry, try some self-control! I have bunches of gladiolus bulbs to stick in the ground, but I'm finding it hard to get them done what with wheeling barrows of horse manure compost everywhere. Three truckloads down, one to go - and then 2 or 3 more of pine bark. What a transformation the compost and mulch made. I was finally proud of my garden.

The front garden is done. My front porch is no longer a staging area for every amendment and drip system part known to man, and the posts and railings are free of algae. I have firm confidence that the back will look just as well when it's all done. The back had absolutely no companion plants, hence the subject line...more, more and more. If I can find that blue nemesia, I will be one very happy gardener.

Sherry

Comments (31)

• sanju
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds great, Sherry. Make sure you post us some pics once they all start growing. I'm planning to add some companion plants as well this year, I've got a few geraniums scattered around, but lots of gaps between most of my roses. I've been a bit nervous to try just about anything, as I didn't know about the fertiliser, water, sun etc requirements of the plants. I'd like to add some delphiniums as well, think they look beautiful. I'm really excited for you!
    Sanju

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

All I can foresee with all these additions is a more beautiful garden, Sherry. In time you'll find out what works in your garden and what won't survive, or find new plants you hadn't seen before. I still have a lot to learn and try, although at the moment I'm concentrating more on the roses and haven't been very adventurous with companion plants. It sounds as though you're having a field day. But, we do need pictures for documentation. I actually can't wait to see how your garden has changed overall from last year.

Ingrid

• Related Discussions

Less isn't more... MORE is more!

Q

Comments (60)
    So here's how they look from further back... which is why I mistakenly said they looked fine. It's been chilly here (to me... not to anyone else) for the past couple days, so I've stayed in the house and done "house things." Today, I went out there and took these pics: And here we have close-ups of some examples of what I'm seeing happening. Also, I've noticed the new leaves seem stunted. They don't grow very big before they either stop growing or fall off. Misshapen leaves, 'browning out'... Hard to really tell in this picture, but the leaf in the center is sorta 'browning out.' If this was a fancy goldfish, I'd say this one has 'dropsy.' Some weird new-growth habit, among other things. More brown spots, plus white spots. At the edge of the pot, you can see the leaves are dying here and there. This is an attempt at a close-up of one of the worst ones. Small leaves that fall off if you even touch them. Another particularly affected plant. The first sign of a problem on a previously robust plant. I don't know what the problem is, but it's obviously contagious. I'm going to have to pull all of this out, dump the brand new potting media into the trash, wash and sterilize the pots, wait for some undetermined length of time, then replace it all. Super bummer. I only hope that whatever it is doesn't spread to things that AREN'T Coleus.
    ...See More

More seeds more trees more chances:)

Q

Comments (1)
    Also after I eat an apple with my breakfast I'll plant those seeds too! The apple is a red rome.
    ...See More

More Descanso Garden Roses and Companions (early June)

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks you guys! I think you are right about it being some kind of veronica. I'll have to find some local,... I really like it. Some of you had advised me to see the roses I liked in various stages of their life, not just full flush, so I appreciate that! Though I've already kind of bought, ... and I don't think I'll really know if I love something until I have it for a couple years, so we'll see how it goes! Ingrid, glad you enjoyed it! I'm trying to think about companion plants lately, so it's nice to see how other people do it in their gardens. Remy - I took probably about 20 shots to get that one hummingbird shot. :) t hanks!
    ...See More

more space/less plants, or less space/more plants

Q

Comments (2)
    It would be better to only plant the bigger ones. Do not overcrowd the garden! Use the spacing recommendations that came with he seeds. Watermelon, squash, and cucumber sprawl out and take up a lot of space. You could trellis the cucumbers on the north side of the garden to free up some space. Tomatoes should be supported in cages, stakes or a trellis. Supporting tomatoes will cause them to grow up rather than sprawl out. Give those extra seedlings to someone else who needs a garden (and who doesn't?). Jon
    ...See More
  • melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

Sounds like a binge without the hangover. I'm a believer in companion plants. Enjoy them!

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Sherry, Your garden looked good before; it's going to look terriffic now! Please do post some pictures.

I, too, have gone a little companion plant crazy this spring. I've ordered perennials from 2 on-line vendors (1 of them I placed 2 orders!), I've already ordered some reblooming iris that will come in August. And of course some things from the local nursery. I can't wait to see how it all turns out for both of us.

Did I mention you should post pictures when they really get going?

Jeff

• elemire
    14 years ago

Companion plants are great, I try to have something blooming all year round (apart the winter of course, but then I got berries). :) This year I am in love with peonies, penstemons, phloxes and asters. Also I find foxglove to be very lovely companion for the roses and since they self seed it gives some pretty randomness to the garden, each year different.

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Sherry, sounds like things are really coming together in your yard and that's a nice feeling! It's such hard work that it's always better to make it work the first time (but does anyone ever actually do that?!)

I hope all your companions turn out to be good ones; I am trying harder to actually plan, in advance, what I put in my beds INSTEAD of just going crazy at the nursery and buying stuff and then trying to find a place for it when I get home. I'm trying to correct "mistakes" made previously but it's hard to dig up perfectly good plants, especially if you don't have anywhere else to put them.

Do you scour the bargain carts at Lowe's? You mention getting flats of flowers for pennies......that's what I do and I can't believe some of the bargains that I have gotten for stuff that just needs a little water!!! (just got two flats of alyssum for about $2.00 each but now I have to put them somewhere).

Lynn

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

Good for you Sherry! You should be excited. It's an adventure trying things, seeing what works. The garden look so much more interesting and beautiful with companions. I've been working at it a long time because my garden is so big and the plants are exspensive. The farther they are from the house the tougher they need to be for me but it's coming along. Do you know about Stephen Scaniello's book about companion planting? I think it's called Roses and their Companions(someone correct me please!) I think you'd like it.

• buffington22
    14 years ago

My most satisfactory companions are David phlox, pinks (some form of dianthus), Stokesia (Stoke's aster),a deep indigo sage or salvia that spreads like wildfire but is so beautiful it is worth the trouble, coneflowers, Joan Senior daylilies, Veronica, and for early spring jonquils and narcissus. In late spring I will plant angelonia and if I can find it, Kim's knee high coneflowers. For early spring, I've tried larkspur and bachelor buttons and sweet peas but they all get too big in spring and block the sun from my roses. For summer I've tried all the usual suspects but other than the ones named here, they get too big or are too invasive. I do have 2 early peonies, Shirley Temple and another whose name I have lost. Shirley does well the other just hangs on every year. Joan Senior daylily is a great one! The color is cream with a lime throat, she reblooms and grows well. I have divided her many times over to share with friends and to fill in my garden. Her color doesn't fight with any other plants. I find that a pink description for a daylily usually is on the peachy or orange side which I don't care for.

• naturalgardener
    14 years ago

The book (an excellent one, by the way) is Rose Companions, or Jackson & Perkins Rose Companions--public libraries should have a copy. I also love roses' companion plants. Current faves are catmint (nepeta) and purple-leaf sage. So far here in NE Ohio, they've just barely peeked their heads above ground--can't wait till they're up and growing.

Carol

• armyyife
    14 years ago

IT sounds like it will be a beautiful garden addition to your roses! I share your excitement! I too started a bunch of seeds this year and have added all the seedlings to my new rose bed. I check everyday on their development to see how they are growing and I think they are going to just make my roses look even better! I planted Hollyhocks, foxgloves, borage, wave putunias, sweet william, dianthus, and something wort (forgot the name). That's only a start! lol I can't wait to see how it will look this year.

Please post pic's of it all when they are blooming. I love garden shots! Happy planting! :O)~Meghan

• saldut
    14 years ago

Sherry - you are fantastic ! please post some pics..... Snapdragons are great and come in all sizes and colors, and if you keep them dead-headed they bloom forever, and the heat doesn't seem to bother them, I have some are several years old.... also a dark-blue Salvia keeps going for years and not too tall and easy to manage.... sally

• User
    14 years ago

Well, it's clear you are still in the garden honeymoon time - pah! to self-control. You are creating beauty in the world and I am betting there will be plenty of beneficiaries of your generous garden and not just yourself.
    I can only agree that nemesias are wonderful, reliable, dainty yet prolific plants which will bloom for months as long as they are deadheaded - even doing that is not a chore. They come through an outside English winter, strike so readily from cuttings and are pretty infallible from seed. Hardy geraniums are addictive and versatile - from tiny alpines to the amazing G.maderense (which would be stupendous in Florida). Buffington mentions Joan Senior, a lovely daylily. The species daylily, H.Lilioasphodelus, is a lovely pale yellow and is fragrant. You might want to have a look at some ornamental grasses - they look good most of the year and are a terrific foil to most flowers - I confess to not seeing the point of grasses for a long time but after growing the giant stipa - golden oats, and its smaller cousin, Stipa tenuissima, I am hooked. A gorgeous early grass is Bowles Golden Grass - milium effusum. Oh, but you need NO encouragement from anyone else - I shall be waiting eagerly for the photos. What a fantastic time you will be having.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Stop it!!! Your making me drool guys! I am still working on my foundation rose garden..I will have more time and funds next year for this..But bulb planting in the fall is a possibility

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

I can't quite figure out if roses are the companion plants or the other way 'round ..... I was a perennial gardener 20 years before I got hooked on roses, so I did it backwards. My beds are full of daylilies, candytuft, iris, veronica, sage, lavender, clematis, candy lilies, tulips, delphinium, dianthus, coneflowers, double yellow sunflowers, peonies, asters, perennial grasses, tree peonies, liriope, lilacs, and different kinds of shrubs. I don't have a master plan, I just kind of plonk and it's just a glorious profusion of color which somehow blends well with all 275 roses...most of which are a new passion during the last 5 years.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I can't wait to see the pictures, Sherry! All those colors surrounding your beautiful roses - it sounds perfectly heavenly!

Right now, I'm letting my roses grow, then I'll start on the companion planting, so I'm very interested to see your combinations.

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! You guys are an easy crowd! What a great bunch of friends!

Sanju, I did put a couple of geraniums (not the hardy type) in a planter on the porch. Hopefully, keeping it somewhat dry will prolong its life here. They don't care for our summers.

Ingrid, I can only hope and dream it will be a more beautiful garden. I'm probably expecting too much because when the heat hits some will have to be replaced, but we'll see.

Melissa, the hangover is the Mastercard statement, but not to worry, DH is used to supporting Lowe's every month.

Jeff, I would love to have gone crazy with reblooming iris but I'm not smart enough yet about them. I'll have to go on the GW iris forum. :))

elemire, can't do peonies and penstemons. They don't live here. I'm told phlox does, but I was chicken to try. There's Profusion asters that hold up better here, but the colors weren't quite what I wanted.

Lynn, yes, I frequent the sale racks at Lowe's. I think my flats were $1.50 and the dianthus weren't even damaged. The flat of Angelica was really cool - divided longways into 2 cells with 5 large plants on each side, really well rooted.

Pam, I wish there were something in Scaniello's book for me (do I sound like Dorothy?) I just can't imagine much of it working in Florida, but I'm sure the pictures are lovely. I think your key words are "working at it a long time". And your garden shows it!

Buff, I also have Stokesia, indigo salvia "that spreads like wildfire but is so beautiful it is worth the trouble" (I hope), coneflowers, and Joan Senior is one of the daylilies I got. That's a great point about dividing them. My oldest are 3 years and some just one yr old, so I guess it will be a while longer till I can divide them. I wish peonies liked it here.

Carol, I bought a pot of catnip at the grocery store and planted it in the front garden. I figured the local cats would do something to it but didn't know what. They demolished it - by rolling on it, I think. :))

Meghan, I did manage to get some seeds to sprout this winter, and I have 2 hollyhocks and a burgundy rudbeckia to show for it. My problem was the freezing January we had kept the seedlings in the garage way too long. I bought lots of 'damaged' white petunias. Not my first choice but we'll see how they look.

Sally, I'm relieved and happy to hear about the snapdragons. I don't know which I have - the short or tall version. I will definitely try to keep them deadheaded.

campanula, I would love to put a few grasses around to wave in the breeze, but they get very large here. Of course, I can always yank 'em out, but somehow that doesn't seem like the thing to do. I may move one of my giant evergreen liriope and put a purple fountain grass there - someday.

zyperiris, wanna come plant my gladiolus bulbs???

Terryjean, your garden sounds like what I want mine to look like. Post pictures of yours sometime, OK?

Holley, it will be a little while for pictures. A lot of my rose bushes are barely starting to leaf out, and a few others just went poof while I wasn't looking and now they have leaves.

I think I get the picture that each and every one of us love to see pictures. Here's one.

{{gwi:243596}}

Sherry

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

I forget about how different conditions are in Florida. I suppose that means though that you could do some amazing things that I couldn't in my garden. What fun!

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pam, not being a real plant person, I'm just at a loss for what does and doesn't work here. I have planted foxgloves years ago in partial summer shade - and they just disappear. Others have turned to mush. High heat, high wet and almost no chill, I guess, are not favorable conditions for most plants. I go through the seed catalogs and if a plant is good for zone 9, it's usually 'drought tolerant'. No Japanese maples here, and only dogwoods raised in Florida. The good thing is that 'they' have been working to develop more "Florida friendly" plants. But when I get my act together, I will be able to grow some of your 'summer plants' in the fall & winter. But I'm not there yet.

Sherry

• sanju
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful flowers, Sherry. There's so much here I have to learn and try out in my own garden!
    Sanju

• lagomorphmom
    14 years ago

I don't have a clue what I like and have good luck with and that would do well in humid Florida. Most of these I have at the mtn place and they are winter hardy. Here's a go...

Gaillardia, Black-eyed Susan's, ditto salvia, hardy geraniums (careful for invasive types), Heuchera and want to try Heucherella (sp?). I echo snaps, the only time they're not blooming is under the snow! I have dwarf types in season 2, now I want some taller ones instead of the delphiniums, I think the snaps will bloom more consistently. Columbine grows there but gets mildew in the late summer/fall.

This year I was amazingly on top of things and threw out poppy seed (California & Shirley), forget-me-nots, blue bonnets as an experiment. The poppies are coming up so they should be pretty on they're own.

Bulbs. Well Shelly, I won't make you feel bad with what I can grow now after being Calif. coastal all my life. However, I will say that hyacinths do come back in Calif. coastal year after year as well as freesias. Just a thought. And you know what? If they only bloom one season, they were cheaper than a store bought bouquet, right???

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Sherry, I don't know a whole lot about reblooming irises either but I did glean some knowledge from the iris forum and some web searches. I also heard that these irises rebloom better in warmer zones. I'll let you know how they turn out. I've heard a white iris called Immortality is supposed to have great rebloom. (I got this last year and will hopefully see bloom this year).

If you are interested in checking some out, I placed an order with Blue J Iris. They have been very helpful, quick to answer emails and have a great selection. I ordered enough to get a bonus and it sounds like a HUGE bonus. Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue J Iris

• Terry Crawford
    14 years ago

I ordered lots of reblooming iris from Schreiners in Oregon but so far no reblooms...but they did caution that in colder zones (I'm in Zone 5) they might not rebloom. They do offer great deals with free bonus iris and a gorgeous catalog. Very healthy rhizomes BTW that are already rapidly multiplying.

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

Sherry, I don't think anyone has mentioned Lobelia. It is a low plant that reseeds itself, about the height of Alyssum. The particular variety we had when I lived in the California Central Valley is a very dark, intense, blue with bronze/green leaves. It's great in a pot with something else, as it will trail over the side, and its color just sets off colors next to it, especially apricots, creamy yellows, etc., but actually lots of other colors as well. It's best (IMHO) as a companion, because just on its own it's low, and the flowers are small, although there are a lot of them. You might like to look at it in a nursery - it also comes in a lighter blue and a pink, but neither of those two did for me what the dark blue did. I don't know how it would do in Florida, but it did fine for me in Merced. Now that I'm in Sacramento, I'm going to plant some in a few pots that I can place among my roses in their bigger pots. I think anything bigger would overpower my potted roses, which are still pretty small.

By the way, Mlle. Jeanne Philippe is finally hitting her stride (I remember that we both bought that at the same time, although I think something happened to yours). She has all these little, pale apricot buds all over her.

Happy planting... There is just no stopping you!!!

Laura

• new2rosesz9cal
    14 years ago

Laura--I love lobelias, although I used them as a ground cover, not in my pots. Very rich-colored leaves, very vivid blue flowers, and best of all, they are happily spreading to cover a spot that needs to have low vegetation since it surrounds the path back to the bushes and beyond where the pool machuinery is hidden.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one trying many different things. Between being new to the Central Valley climate and wanting to try plants that will attract hummingbirds, I am a bit afraid that my garden will be a gaudy patchwork.

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Interesting, here in Atlanta, Lobelia seems to fizzle in the heat. I'm surprised to hear that it does so well in CA. Are there certain cultivars that are especially good?

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

My experience here is that Lobelia doesn't reseed. It is happier in the spring when the temps are more moderate. There is a groundcover Veronica that is very tough and beautiful with flowers similar to Lobelia. Unfortunately it only blooms in the spring. I find it still worthwhile and Lobelia as well.

• User
    14 years ago

which veronica? - V.gentianoides with china blue flowers and glossy leaves or is it one of the creeping ones (which do reseed everywhere). There is a good omphalodes (verna and the wonderful annual, linifolia) and, for later in the year, my namesake - campanulas. So many, and all are worth having.

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

New2roses and Mendocino rose and Gardennatlanta -

You may be right, Atlanta - I know that a lot of things I planted frizzled in the heat. But I distinctly remembered the intense blue of that lobelia glowing from its pot against the ivy at the west end of the yard in the shade...AHA!! Maybe that's it - the SHADE. That particular end of the yard was sunny in the morning and early afternoon, but by the time the real killer sunlight hit, it was shaded (at least partially). There were 3 big fat pots there with daylilies in them and the lobelia trailing down the sides. So maybe it won't go so well with roses that need all day sun. It did reseed, though - not spectacularly, but a few new plants came up through the alyssum planted near the pots.

So, new2roses, since you love lobelia, but are new to the central valley, maybe you could try it in some semi-shady spots. I have to admit that I am somewhat new to the gardening lark, so my suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt...

Laura

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

Sherry, I have good luck with Lantana and Verbena. They won't wilt in the heat, you'll have flowers all summer. Here in north FL they both die back over the winter and come up again in the spring. Lots of different colors that go well with roses. I just picked up some white lantana, it's so pretty and dainty looking against the dark green leaves. (smells good too) Looks great in the garden.

Last year I tried some Zinnias from seed. They didn't mind the heat, bloomed all summer and fall, great colors.

Marigolds are good too, and no problem. Lavender and rosemary love the heat. Some of the Agaves and Yuccas would do well in your climate. Ornamental Kale has a beautiful color as a background for roses.
    Donna

• new2rosesz9cal
    14 years ago

Yes, I should have said that I put it in a spot that is in shade most of the day.

• elemire
    14 years ago

sherry, I did not realize that conditions in Florida are so different. But then again I suppose you can grow a lot of plants which thrive in greenhouse conditions or the ones originating from tropical regions. Mirabilis jalapa I guess might do well in your place, also Callas, Arums (with very nice autumn/winter berry displays), Zantedeschias (colored callas) also probably different kinds of balsamines.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville