SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Don B., you wanted to know about my gold Frances Williams sport

josephines167 z5 ON Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you for taking interest in my gold Frances Williams sport...identified as 'Golden Sunburst' in the Hosta world and which name I identify it by in my garden.

Here are a couple of progress pics. I originally potted three single divisions. I gave one away and kept two.

But first, a quick recap... July 2013, gold sport separated from FW. Remember how long I had it sitting in water? It grew additional roots and the dormant buds for next year actually pushed through prematurely and produced a smaller-leaf flush late in the season.

In 2014 all leaves were much smaller, understandably as most of the reserved energy was spent late 2013!

One of the potted divisions, survived 2013 winter...pic from May 2014

Fast forward to present day, 2015

Taken yesterday around 9 a.m.

Div. #1 - front window bed. It gets shade in the morning, direct afternoon sun for several hours but shaded by Rose of Sharon shrub from about 4:30. Love it's colour and apparent hardiness - no scorch marks surprisingly.

Taken on Monday around 11 a.m.

Div. #2 - back fence bed. In morning shade until 10:30, then filtered light followed by direct sun exposure from around 3:30 until sunset. It gets some shelter from a neighbouring weigela at high noon. It is also taking on a bit of gold colour. New permanent location.... unless it objects to too much sun.

From what I've read, the recommendation is to keep it in the shade (re: necrosis) but I'm trying to push the envelope, once again as is my wont, lol.

It's much too early to tout the success of growin GS in the sun, but I will update later in the season or earlier should any issues arise.

Thanks again, Don. :). I'm really pleased with the progress so far! It survived the transplant shock and all the other rigours I put it through! It's special to me.

Comments (3)