SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsuburbhome

Long time lurker, finally ready to start kitchen.

rsuburbhome
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Been around for 6+ years, I have learned so much. Almost 4 years ago I gave up on the addition, double the size of the kitchen thought. We added a pantry/office/command center cabinet in our dining area. Custom made cabinets to fit the spot, hand painted, love the brush marks, most functional thing ever. We are DIY for almost everything. Our dining area is 7'10" by 10' 4" and that is the size of the kitchen also. I have learned that my 25 year old builder basic kitchen was designed well and functions for our family of 4. I am finally getting rid of the soffit and cabinets hanging over the peninsula, minus the range hood, that has to stay ( do not want down draft). I would love more than the 20" to the left of the range for prep, but I am able to spread to the sink wall so it works. There is no way to move the range, get an island or do anything else with this size of kitchen. We have lived here for 14 years and I figure if I can survive a couple toddlers not burning themselves on the range (12 inch overhang) in the peninsula I am good. All appliances are staying and will be white, we will be painting the cabinets by hand, swan wing by behr, which is what the dining room cabinets are. The laminate flooring will be staying as it is only about 4 years old. The open great room will be painting a light green, we think.

I have questions about hood vents. I am trying to decide between an insert and an undercabinet vent hood. I do not need more than 300 CFM, 400 here I need make up air. I am considering a zepher insert twister or breeze. Low end compared to here, but it will work for us.

Also I have questions about countertops, no stone, it is too cold. I am considering solid surface with integrated sink or formica with a single basin sink. The formica gets me a bigger standard sink, but the solid surface is integrated, don't know how to pick. Back splash will be determined later.

I wanted to post a picture of my kitchen and the layout, I love looking at average everyday kitchens that get used to make 6 dinners a week at least and lunch and breakfast and is not huge. I am in no way a gourmet cook, but my husband and teens like what I cook so that is all that matters.

Comments (11)