SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Questions about my Hot Hungarian Wax Peppers (Hybrids/Crosses)

I

love Hot Hungarian Wax Peppers and grow them every year. However I have some questions about them. First off, I grew two from seed myself, but since they are easy to find at local greenhouses, I just buy starters there. It leaves me more room for more exotic and hard to find peppers to grow from seed.

Well, the two I grew from see were from seed I harvested off last year's plants. Those plants came from the same source as the starters that I purchased this year. But the ones I grew don't really look the same as the ones I purchased this year.

Here is a photo of both. The two plants I grew are the ones in the back. The three in the front are ones I purchased.

At first, I just figured it was different growing conditions. Indoors under lights for mine and greenhouse closely spaced for theirs. But today, I noticed one of my plants had a pepper growing on it. But, first of all, it isn't growing upwards like a typical HHW pod does and second, it isn't shaped like a normal HHW pod. So, what I want to know is this:

Should I expect my plants to have grown true like the green house ones or did I possibly get a cross from last year. They were separated from my other peppers by about 40 feet only. Or, are the ones from the greenhouse a "Hybrid" that would yield unexpected results in future generations? I dont really get how the hybrid thing works in later generations.

Or, is it probably just a mutant pod and I should expect the rest of the pods to all look the same as the green house plant pods?

Here is a photo of the plant label from the green house starters.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!