SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengz6westmd

Persistence pays off despite frustrations

bengz6westmd
8 years ago

After some incidents, I was curious if I could get an old, unused home-built tower (~2004) up and running w/a DSL-connection & running Linux (it has W95 & NT on the hard drive). It had an analog pci dialup-modem, so removed that & installed a $1(!) used ethernet pci-card in the vacated slot (to hard-connect to the DSL-modem).

A number of Linux live-DVD distros failed to install or worked miserably (Mint & Ubuntu) 'cause of the machine's age, but Precise-puppy worked reasonably well. But it couldn't get the card working, even tho it had installed a driver & identified the card's eth0 network-interface. Tried the included driver that came w/the card, tried Ndiswrapper (Windows) drivers, tried manually entering entries (default gateway, IP address, DNS, etc) -- no luck. Finally I got a message that clicked something in my head -- it said "unable to allocate memory".

I remembered the old advice of trying another pci-slot (the one it was in had worked fine for the analog modem), but also there was a BIOS setting in the pci-options to reconfigure all the pci-settings which had been helpful in the past. Did both of those things & it worked! The ethernet card was identified/configured by the original Linux driver & I had internet access.

So I went ahead & installed Precise-puppy from the DVD on a seperate partition & got it going. I installed some puppy-packages (like midnite commander) from source-sites & then experimented w/a better video driver & ACPI BIOS settings, but that resulted in some endless error-loops and necessary reinstallations (puppy was able to see some previously installed puppy-files on the reformatted partition!), but finally got a stable OS with the knowledge of avoiding too much experimentation on such an old machine.

Comments (4)