SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanmhe

Nativizing a woodland

joanmhe
8 years ago

I live in a condo where the board does not want to take down the dozens or Norway maples that have been left to grow like weeds in large areas. We are near significant areas of conservation lands and still native woods, including some on our property.

Recently we have been invaded by garlic mustard. In areas that should be landscaped, we can't even get moss to grow.

I'd like to propose a long-term plan to remove the invasives. I have been manually pulling the garlic mustard and any maple seedlings, and have a few other residents helping out.

There are several other invasive weeds that I have not positively identified that will be my next target.

I was initially proposing removing just trees overhanging the supposedly landscaped areas, but after researching, realize that we should remove all of the Norway maples, perhaps in phases. Should we leave some to protect the white pines to prevent losing those? The Norway maples are up to 40 years old, but there are a few older white pines.

If we wanted to let these areas go wild again, what is the best inexpensive way to reintroduce a New England woodland, as opposed to shrubs and mulch? The land was an abandoned sandpit, with some kind of clay fill put in. The areas that went "wild" were the steeply sloping sidebanks. Most of the land nearby is suburban yards, but we do have about half an acre of woods that still contain native white pines, oaks and birches.

Also, there are several Northern Catalpas that have propagated into areas where the maples were kept out - do these pose a long-term problem? The parent trees are about 40 years old, have a lot of dead wood and are unattractive, but I have read that they don't drop limbs.

Thanks for any ideas. I realize that we would need an arborist to advise about the specifics, if I am able to convince the board to go forward with this.

Comments (8)

Sponsored