SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Suburban native options

docmom_gw
8 years ago

I live on a largish city lot at the edge of the city limits in Grand Rapids, MI. Most of my property is quite deep shade, but the front of the property faces south and a 45 mph two lane road. I'm trying to develop a mix of mostly native perennials to support pollinators. Right now I'm searching for more early spring blooms. Non-natives are fine with me, as long as they are not invasive and don't get too large. Because of the speed of the traffic, I need to be careful to preserve my and my neighbors' visibility when pulling out of our driveways.

So, early blooming, low-growing sun plants (that can tolerate being covered in huge piles of shoveled snow and salt in winter) or any early blooming shade plants that can tolerate heavy covering of oak leaves (that get removed to varying degrees each year, depending on what else I have going on and how early the snow falls). Any suggestions? Soil in the sunny area is very sandy, the shady areas are rich with leaf drop. I already have Trillium and Virginia Bluebells. I'm trying to get rid of English Ivy, Lily of the Valley, Archangel lamium, vinca, and a really extensive garlic mustard invasion. I'm doing surprisingly well getting rid of the invasive species, so far. Slow but sure.

Thanks for any thoughts, Martha

Comments (16)

Sponsored