SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drbjh

Interior designer - doesn't feel right

drbjh
8 years ago

Hello, I have hired an interior designer that I am not sure if I want to continue working with her. This is my first time working with one and I'm not sure what is the typical process. Our interior designer charges $150/hour with an estimate of 10hours for initial research ($1500). She then drops the hourly fee and charges 20% for each furniture item we purchase. This all seems reasonable from what I've read.

Our interior designer is busy but it can take her up to a week to return my emails. Her initial suggestions were exponentially above our budget. For example, she recommend several sectionals in the $10,000+ range which exceeds our budget for the whole living room, but she explained that she starts with "dream pieces" and works backwards to our budget But then she is charging us for researching furniture outside our budget...In addition, she quoted a Lee industries leather sectional 3583 for $10,000+ despite her 30% designer discount. However, Lee furniture at Crate and Barrel and Room and Board costs much less than this!! I have already sent her numberous links to furniture that we like at lower costs and not sure why a month later we haven't made much progress. Finally, she recommended transverse rods for drapes that cost ~$2000 and I've never even seen them go for more than a couple hundred dollars.

I feel like I am getting ripped off but have already paid a large retainer fee let alone how much more we will owe. I am not sure how much more time to give to see if we meet on the same page. Please also advise as to how quickly I should be expecting responses from a designer. Thank you!

Comments (12)