SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kalev13

Ficus Lyrata Air Layer - How long can new plant survive without pot?

kalev13
8 years ago

Hello all. I've learned a lot of valuable information on this forum by lurking (a lot), but I have a specific question that I couldn't find the answer to.

I am currently in the process of moving about 2 hours from my current home (I've been moving a car load every weekend and will be doing a final move in a truck mid-June). I have already moved my small plants (10" pots and smaller). I still need to move my ~5'-6" tall Ficus Lyrata. I am currently air layering a very healthy lateral branch that was causing the plant to lean. I hope to separate the air layer before moving to make the plant(s) more portable (if the root ball is well developed).

Question:

Do I have to plant the separated air layer immediately after separation? Or can I transport it with the moss ball wrapped in mylar to be potted at my new home? Just a root ball would be easier to move, plus my 5:1:1 mix (thanks to tapla) and pots are at the new house.

P.S.: Thanks again to everyone at GardenWeb. You have already helped me repot, prune, and propogate plants as well as get rid of pests. Cheers!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!