SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

Oh, no! Slow death thru my own ignorance! (or horrible soil probs.)

CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all!

I've been reading and reading and reading (stop me) about soil mixes. I thought I was doing well, improving as my own experience grew.

I have about 127 Japanese maples in pots. Ok, some now in the ground.

I had a day with Owen Reich, a bonsai expert recently. Very informative and frightening.I've learned is about oxygen in the soil, reusing pot soil (no), not enough drainage, fertilizer, etc., from the container soil threads, several of which I have to reread more slowly. What I learned from Owen is that I have borers in Autumn Blaze and October Glory maples. I have fungus on Oshi Beni, Booskop Glory and Sherwood Flame, and scale on Shania. Holy moly. He also suggested I might consider a fertilizer, because with better soil, fertilizer and drainage, my dear trees would probably "triple in size and I'd be shocked!"

I'm addressing the issues above as per Owen's advice, but I'm stuck here:

It's way too hot to repot 50(?) of my JMs in containers. What I thought I was doing right with my soil, is evidently NOT enough. I just lost a Wilson's Pink to what I think is no drainage at all. Plus, I was watering every morning at 5:00 am, because most of my trees are in full sun. Little to no drainage, morning waterings, full sun? I can't believe I don't have a tree cemetery, vs a potted beds!

I'd been mixing perlite, pine fines, and (too dense) potting soil, thinking I was creating a lighter soil than the non-aerated soil I'd been using. I also learned to get rid of the drainage saucers under the maples!!!!!! I did drill holes in the sides of all my pots and elevated the ones that are ceramic.

Finally, getting to my questions:

Wicking. I keep reading about putting a wick in the drainage hole at the bottom to encourage this too-dense soil to drain. What to use as wicks? Would it suffice or at least be helpful to just stick a wick in the bottom, elevate the pot and hope for the best?

A couple trees I knew were completely struggling, I simply lifted out of their badly-draining pots, loaded a new pot with pine fines, and stuck it in that pot. I set that pot in a bigger pot that's got a nice thick layer of grow stones in it. Will it drain? Is it enough?

Should I just take my chances and repot these leafed-out beauties, keep 'em in the shade and hope for the best?

I am starting to collect the ingredients for fall and spring repotting of these beautiful trees, and have 9 planned to go in-ground this fall. (Last fall I planted 6, which are doing well, despite the deer.)

I guess I'm now frozen with new knowledge and awareness, and afraid now that I know what a bad tree-mom I am, they'll all just up and die.

Suggestions (and reassurances!?)

Thanks!

Comments (20)