SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Pfunn with my vintage Pfaff sewing machine; finding 'her' ancestors

caroline94535
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been researching and learning more about my two vintage sewing machines, a Singer 15-91 and a Pfaff 130-6, both date from the mid 50s.

Since we're still in remodel mess, and probably will be for-ev-er, I can't get out all my toys to sew...but I can research.

My Pfaff 130-6, set into a Singer 42 Deco cabinet, was a FreeCycle gift. It came complete with all the original Pfaff accessories, feet, sewing gadgets, booklets, etc. There were a few Singer accessories included, too. Several of the booklets had "Amy" written on their covers; one envelope (for a mail-ordered pressing cloth) had "Mrs. Dudley Winslow" and an Arvilla, ND address that is about 10 miles from my house. It was mailed with a 3-cent stamp.

The original sales receipt for the machine was included, too. It's temporarily "lost" in the pile(s) of paperwork I've been slowly organizing and filing. I know I will find it again, eventually. Then it will join all of the other papers and booklets that are safely stored in the Pfaff Binder.

I had to know more about Ms. Amy and learn a bit about my machine's 'other mother.'

In the course of searching through Ancestry, Find-a-Grave, local news, and other resources I have learned...

Amy C. Ooneland was born in 1905, and died in 1995. Her middle name on the original sales receipt - 1952 or 1954 - is 'Carol' or 'Carolyn.' My name is 'Carol.'

She graduated from the Northwest School of Agriculture in Crookston, MN, in 1925 and taught school in Nielsville, MN.

She married Dudley H. Winslow in 1929; they had two daughters, Clyone and Ardythe. Dudley died in 1964.

She married James Love in 1970. They lived in Larimore, ND (my little town.) He died in 1979. She then remained unmarried until her death in 1995.

I found a PDF file of her college yearbook, The Red River Aggie 1925. It has her senior photo and a sorority group photo that included her.

I went to the "town" of Arvilla - a wide spot in the road near thousands of aces of wheat and potatoes - and stopped in the very old, small cemetery. I walked right up to it without having to search - the marker showing Amy and Dudley's resting place. I have not found much info on James Love - yet.

I still want to find which house she and James lived in here in Larimore, and the Winslow's home place in Arvilla. Her daughters, grand-, and great-grandchildren were in California at the time of her death. Her Pfaff and all the sewing items had been stored in a barn for several years before being auctioned off. The cabinet served as an end table for a married UND couple for four years before they gave it to me.

It's back in Larimore now, loved, and will be used. I've earmarked it for my youngest brother (16 years younger) for when I no longer need it.

I have not figured out how to Save and/or Print her PDF photo, but it is on Page 41 of the Red River Aggie 1925. She is a beautiful, and a very stylish lady.

Comments (5)