SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherylnsw

Sewing with a vintage machine

cherylnsw
18 years ago

2 days ago I bought my dream sewing machine, a handcranked Singer. It's a 128-4 and was made in December 1920, I found that out thanks to the lovely folks at Singer. They also had a free download of the 128-3 machine manual, treadle version of mine so I was able to learn how to thread it and put the needle in correctly. It sews beautifully. I also oiled and cleaned it up. Now I want to use it, trying to work out what to sew first, whether to go for something old fashioned just for the fun of it or one of the pieces I already have planned.

Does anyone here use their vintage machines? If so what do you make on them? Eventually I'd like to make a quilt top on mine.

I am thinking that this won't be the last vintage machine I buy, I'd like a treadle one next.

Where do you keep your machines, on display or where they are used? I've been able to aquire (AKA steal from my parents yard - they carried it partway) the castiron frame for a singer treadle machine. We are going to clean off all the old flakey paint and rust, then it's going to be painted black (apparently it's how they first came) and my husband is going to put a wooden top on it. The machine will be placed in front of a window in my sewing room for good light. It will mean I have to make a cover for the case to prevent any fading but it's a southfacing window which means it rarely gets sunlight so it shouldn't really matter.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County