SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Tale of two lots ... and a pool

mrspete
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm considering two lots in a prime, ideally situated neighborhood -- and may not end up buying either one; I'm really just digging for information at this moment -- but I'm wondering how big a deal the orientation is in terms of swimming pool ownership.

The two lots are located across the cul-de-sac from one another, so although they're neighbors and identical in size, they're opposites in terms of orientation:

Lot 1 is better situated for the house itself. That is, the driveway and parking would work out more easily (it's the last house before the cul-de-sac circle, meaning the house would face the road straight-on, and the drive would be shorter and cheaper), and as they sit empty, this is the more attractive lot; it is heavily wooded with hardwoods -- mostly mature oaks -- to the back and left side /pines on the front and right side (the pines would all go to make room for the driveway, and I hate pines anyway). However, the main living areas of the house we plan to build are oriented to the BACK YARD, and -- obviously -- that's where we'd place the pool. The back of our house would face north and slightly west. Mainly north. The lot slopes "forward", meaning that the backyard (and pool) will be somewhat "higher" than the front yard. How much does it slope? Not significantly enough for a walk-out basement, but enough that you notice it. My biggest fear about this lot: Would a north-facing pool ever be warm? Or, alternately, would we go broke trying to heat it?

Lot 2 is ON the cul-de-sac circle, and the house would require a bit of an odd placement. The lot is rectangular, but the house would be placed catty-cornered on the rectangle to face the cul-de-sac circle. The driveway would be longer and would be a bit odd, but the back of the house would face south and east -- does it get any better? So we'd have lovely morning sun in through our large back windows /glass doors ... and the pool would have southern and eastern sun. The garage would face the lackluster northern exposure, which is ideal. This lot is less heavily wooded, though some clearing would still be necessary. This lot is pretty close to pancake flat, and it is priced at 2/3 the cost of Lot 1.

In case it matters, our pool will be small with a sun shelf, fiberglass and salt.

And in case it matters, I'm in central North Carolina, where our winters tend towards 40-50 degrees, and our summer days are mid 90s.

IF we buy one of these two lots -- and we are still looking -- I'm thinking #2 is our best bet. But in terms of the pool, am I thinking correctly?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (2)