SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannine

Online sources for bathroom vanities

Jeannine
8 years ago

I was all set to order a vanity made by "Kitchen Bath Collection" via Wayfair, but found the same vanity for sale on Amazon and some reviews weren't positive. Apparently, everyone loves it when it shows up, but there are reviews from people who had the piece for a while that are negative (cracks in finish, warps in doors).

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an online source for good-quality bathroom vanities. I'm not crazy about Pottery Barn's options and I am not a big fan of Restoration Hardware there days.

This is the first of three bathroom remodels we'll be doing in our house. This bathroom will probably see the least amount of use.

Comments (42)

• cataan
    8 years ago

I just got kitchen cabinets which I cut down to bathroom vanity size (the color I wanted was only available as a kitchen cabinet): www.instockkitchens.com

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

Glad you asked this as I am unexpectedly in the market for one and not finding much to choose from.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I don't have a recommendation, just a beware. Do not buy a vanity from Cabinet DIY. I have a thread on here, somewhere, regarding why the vanity I ordered was not a good product. The main reasons were that the construction quality was low -- it looked nice in the areas where you will see it for use, but the structural quality is not good. My DH had to reinforce it with brackets all around the back and also the toe kick. You'd never know by looking at the finished product. Also, they didn't even send me the configuration I ordered. It was 36" two door/two drawers. We didn't want a drawer at the top because we wanted to center the sink. They sent two door/three drawers, we have to offset the sink...I didn't bother complaining because we didn't put it together right away so didn't realize that error. Plus it was supposed to have full overlay...does not.

• cataan
    8 years ago

How much did you pay for the vanity from cabinet DIY?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    8 years ago

cataan -- altogether with shipping it was about $500. I realize this is not an expensive price. However, I would have paid more to get the full overlay, more sturdy, and correct configuration. Since the cost to ship is back is exorbitant, we're living with it. I don't think I'll order a vanity online again.

• cataan
    8 years ago

I don't know how the cabinet was constructed, but I can tell you what I got from an online order: 1/2 inch plywood rear panel, 3/8 inch plywood side panels, 1/2 inch solid wood front. I didn't get drawers but they are dovetail. The frame also has dado grooves and brackets that utilize a built-in latch helping to secure the panels to the front. I am adding my own supports in the rear corners to increase the strength of the vanity (which is probably not necessary but I want to do so anyway). If I had paid up and purchased elsewhere I could have gotten thicker side panels but in effect the proposition was "you can save $1,000 if you add some brackets yourself". I can't think of any reason not to do that - it's simple enough. Also note that in an alcove where the sides won't be seen, it can be better not to have full face doors because they will hit the walls when you open them -- I have one inch partial overlay and am fine with that because of the door opening issue. At least you didn't get particle board or MDF which is how many vanities are made.

• Lacey Sheardown
    8 years ago

Just bought one from AllModern.com, it arrives Friday - hoping we'll like it. The online shopping experience was great and they appear to have a great return policy (hopefully I won't need that lol)

Jeannine thanked Lacey Sheardown
  • User
    8 years ago

Bad import plywood is much worse than NA sourced particle board. Don't ever assume that because something says ''plywood'' that you're getting quality. You're most often not in any popular mass produced online anything. Every single vendor mentioned so far is import, and not high quality.

• User
    8 years ago

I spent WEEKS looking for 2 new vanities as I did not want anything that resembled a "kitchen cabinet that's also a bath vanity". I found Strasser Woodenworks and fell in love! I'd very much suggest checking them out.

• texasgal47
    8 years ago

I used Kraftmaid combination of a bathroom 36" wide vanity on either side of a kitchen 3 drawer bank base cabinet. The middle unit dimensions can be manufactured with a 3" variance in depth and height so that it matches dimensions of the end units. I went with partial overlay doors and drawers to allow for door clearances and to save $$$. After 3 years use, the finish still looks like new. In the separate toilet area, a 2 door wall cabinet was installed with a 12" h open cabinet box mounted below. The open section holds a tissue box, a display piece, etc.

Cathi33, I'll check out your Strasser recommendation for my small hall bath since something different is needed there.

• cataan
    8 years ago

I will not buy any furniture - certainly not something that will be near moisture - made of particle board (or more appropriately dust and glue). Particle board is garbage regardless of where it is manufactured simply because it is particle board.

As far as Chinese-manufactured plywood, whether it is "good" or "bad" will depend on the manufacturer and the wood itself. I'm fine with what I bought. If I wanted to spend thousands of dollars more then I would buy from a local operation, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars more.

It is important to note that an item described as "wood" could just as easily be particle board of MDF as actual plywood or solid wood. Usually if it isn't specified as plywood or solid wood it is particle board or MDF (which is just a modern version of particle board).

• User
    8 years ago

Cataan I just had a beautiful vanity made from a local cabinet maker who has been in business several years. They told me they use particle board a lot and find it to be an affordable, good product that holds up well... They went on to say how most people just assume it's cheap but they said otherwise... I'm happy with the product and I think it will hold up just fine. My old vanity was around 17 years old and builder grade; it held up just fine and it had particle board... It's just a matter of opinions I guess. Btw, some quality name brand (American) cabinet makers use MDF (aka particle board) for the raised areas on painted cabinets because it's much harder, more durable, and works better when painted...

Anyway, I looked high and low online because I buy a lot online. I got quotes from several big cabinet lines and found many vanities online I liked. Because my vanity space is between two walls, it was easier for the local guy to build exactly what I needed. And it was cheaper than the big cabinet lines. I would consider buying a smaller vanity online if the price was right. But even then, I would consider my local guy too..

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I wound up ordering a vanity by Kitchen Bath Collection through Amazon. They also sell through Wayfair, Build.com, Hayneedle, and some other websites. The Amazon reviews for their pieces are great.

I ordered yesterday. They called today and emailed me to explain how delivery would work. They also emailed me a picture of the vanity packed up at the warehouse. So far, so good.

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

I did the same and also got a call and photo. Should arrive late next week.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    8 years ago

I have been looking online at vanities myself. By some chance has anyone ordered the "Elizabeth" by Kitchen Bath Collection through Amazon? It looks beautiful--just hesitate to order online without actually seeing it! Would love your feedback.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did, @amspinn. It should be delivered in the next 72 hours. Fingers crossed!

I'll definitely post an update when it arrives!

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed that all goes well!

• Ann Marie Spinner
    8 years ago

Please let me know how it goes- Jeannie and Christina! You both ordered the "elizabeth"?! How exciting! Can't wait to hear!

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

I got the Beverly and it arrived today. I really like it. It's prettier than I anticipated. I kind of felt like I was just settling for something when I ordered it but I'm quite happy with it. It's in my garage bundled up but I did open it and inspect it. I think it's going to look very nice in the room and add some character to the space.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My delivery is scheduled for this morning!

• Ann Marie Spinner
    8 years ago

Jeannine-SO excititng! Keep me posted. Haven't ordered yet, but may do so after you open yours! Can you tell me how the marble is- one or two pieces? - or anything else about it. Christina- Glad you are so happy with yours! Update us all!

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's here! I'll post pictures in a few hours. We were so impressed with the delivery and packaging. They layer so many materials - bubble wrap, foam, heavy (corrugated?) cardboard, wood (six thin sheets), more cardboard, plastic mover's wrap, then buckles around the whole thing, and cardboard cones on top preventing the shipper from putting anything on top of them.

The driver was totally fine with waiting until we had peeled all the layers off. He even helped so we could inspect the corners.

If you order one, I highly recommend getting some "mover's straps" to get it inside. My husband is big and strong, but I am not, but we got the vanity into our laundry room using our straps.

Again, I'll post photos in a couple hours. I have to get to work!

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

I have to echo what Jeannine said about the packaging. It was very well done. Layers of bubble wrap, foam, 1/4 plywood, corner protection, strapping around the whole thing. They did everything possible to make sure it arrived in good shape..

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope this works. I'm going to write more extensively on my blog tonight, but I hope this works for now!

EDIT: I went to edit this and the picture shrunk! I'll reupload them in a moment.
    Delivery...

Signing off after we opened the top to check the corners of the counter. This doesn't even begin to show the amount of packaging.

View of the counter while still in the box.

Inside our [really icky and on the list of rooms to update] laundry room...

Inside the cabinet...

The finish is good. Not perfect, but very good.

The marble's edge is pretty from above.

I don't think I shared the Amazon thing...I asked a question about the two slabs and here are the responses...

You certainly CAN see the seam between the two slabs of marble. There is
    sawdust and a little dirt in the crevices, making the seam more
    visible, I think. I'll clean it tonight. I can't believe all the Amazon
    people said they was no seam. I think it's obvious, but it doesn't
    bother me.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    8 years ago

Jeannine and Christina- are you happy with your vanity? Anyone else?

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

Mine is still in my garage but so far I am very pleased. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before it moves into the bathroom.

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

Not installed yet but it's unpacked and in the room! The finish is not perfect but it's good and I'm happy. I think it looks great in the space and it was less than half the cost of the other one I was looking at.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It looks so great! I love those large tiles, too!

Are you going to use the faucet that came with it? They sent one that is the perfect style (pet peeve is faucets that don't extend very far into the sink), but it's brushed chrome and I prefer more shine. I'm debating, but it matches the vanity hardware.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    8 years ago

Sooo pretty! Really looks nice. You must be very excited!

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

I'm dithering on the faucet Jeanine for just the reason you gave. The style is just right but the finish isn't. Everything else is shiny chrome. I'm pretty certain I'll be changing out the knobs and pulls but I'm not sure I want the budget hit of a new widespread faucet when I have one I can use. I'm leaning to having it installed with an eye to replacing it down the road.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I totally get it. I already bought light fixtures and both are polished chrome. I'm trying to decide if I should have everything except the faucet match, everything but the light fixtures match, or find a polished chrome faucet.

I'm leaning towards buying a new faucet. :(

• User
    8 years ago

I bought a Fresca vanity and side cabinet http://www.frescabath.com from www.build.com. They are also available at Menards, if you have one of those near you.

• User
    8 years ago

What's this obsession with cheap imports on the internet that cost as much as American made quality? Doesn't anyone ever leave the house to shop anymore?

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I went to Ferguson, Sophie. All but one brand of vanities they carry is imported. And that brand's aesthetic was very "country."

Kohler is making their vanities in Kentucky, but they are quite expensive.

Please don't think we are lazy...some of us may have explored other options that were outside of our budgets. Looking at your profile, it says your typical project goes up to $100k (or am I missing a few zeros?). That just isn't plausible for some and I'm sure you know this.

I buy mostly American made furniture, but even some of the major brands are sending production to Asia. Plenty of companies have High Point showrooms, but are getting their goods off container ships. Since you are a pro, I'm sure you know this as well.

• christina222_gw
    8 years ago

I shopped all over the place locally and online. I didn't find a single thing in my price range that was made in America. I checked out big box stores and local cabinet shops. I'm sure it would be lovely to have many thousands of dollars to spend but for most of us, myself included, that's not an option. But please do feel free to point out a US made option for the same price. I for one would love to know about it for my next project.

The fixtures in my new room are all US made, the tile is from the UK. I am conscious of the sources of my purchases.

Jeannine thanked christina222_gw
  • User
    8 years ago

Then you aren't shopping in the right places! Any cabinet company can get you vanities. Made in America vanities. Cheaper than import, and better quality. For furniture style, all any even semi custom cabinet line like Diamond or Kraftmaid has to do is void the toekick and field attach feet. Dynasty has an entire bath line with consoles or modern wall hung styles. Any KD can do a bath.

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for thoughts, Sophie. As noted, Christiana and I made our purchases after exploring our local options and considering what vendor worked best for our situations.

Thanks to all the nice GardenWebbers who made suggestions, too! I'll share progress pictures when I have them. :)

• freeoscar
    7 years ago

Jeannine - any update on the vanity? Is it holding up well?

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's great! Granted, ours is in a basement bathroom that gets light, daily use and we don't have children.

I am very glad I ditched the cheap faucet they sent. I love the heft of the one we bought.

I'm thinking of painting the walls gray or blue, but other than that, I'm happy!

• freeoscar
    7 years ago

Thank you for the update - and you bathroom looks great!

• mh26
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought our 72" vanity from signaturehardware.com, (westerfield whitewashed model) currently sitting in our garage, but did open it and it's beautiful, all hardwood. Made in Indonesia but no particle board. Will begin bathroom install in 2 days!