mary8153

Please Help with Master Bath Reconfigurations

mary8153
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some help with my new master bath
configurations. We had to shrink the house width by 4 ft so the previous
master bath design doesn’t quite work anymore. I have three options. Also please feel free to comment on the rest of the 2nd floor
layout which are the same across the options.

thanks so much

1. Single Vanity Back WC with Linen closet

2) Split Vanity Linen closet in hall

3) Center entry Bath

Comments (28)

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Mary I like them ranked just how they are displayed - #1 the best. It seems to flow to me better and keeps the tub surround area free of visual clutter. #2 - The sink closest to the tub seems to be jutting out into the room making it a little less harminous - IMO. Also, I do like the linen inside the master wing.

I do not like #3 at all - the entry door is a pinch point and a deal breaker for me. It would always require the person at that sink to move for someone to get in or out and there is wasted space behind the door but perhaps you could put the linen there if you really loved it (or even use that space in the closet to recess the linen which would alleviate clothes behind the door). OR - make it a pocket door and that removes the door issue - then I'd like it better than #2.

Your house is going to be awesome!

mary8153 thanked autumn.4
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

I don't like 2 at all for the reasons Autumn said. I like 3 the best but feel autumn has a good idea with using a pocket door for the opening and adding the linen closet on the wall up against the clothes closet. I like 3 better because there is no wasted space AND the master closets are better.

mary8153 thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

Help! Please review Master Bath Layout!

Q

Comments (12)
    The shower-tub-toilet locations are the same in both options as they are now, right? Seems like a nice arrangement and those are expensive to move -- so don't move them unless you have to. (Sinks are much easier to move.) I do agree that getting to the bonus room through the master bath is a bit odd -- but that just makes it a private space, not a public one. As you say, great for a nursery, home gym, or second master closet. (I'd love two big ones!) The second option wastes tons of space in the closet! It would look awful unless you have all those doors, and be very expensive to build (and probably annoying to use) if you do have that many doors. But if you kept the second floor plan and squared up the closet in the location closest to the bath, you'd have enough space left over for a sitting area that is open to the bedroom if you like. Even so, I'd still prefer the 1st option. That just looks like it would be nice space to live in.
    ...See More

help for reconfiguring small master bath with sloped ceiling!

Q

Comments (1)
    Some pictures and a sketch of the layout with all dimensions would be helpful.
    ...See More

Master bathroom reconfiguration

Q

Comments (8)
    You should really find a qualified design professional to help you. This is really the only way of seeing what options are available for your desired outcome, as they should balance your needs with those required by your local codes. Additionally, you should be aware that any work to accommodate another bathroom may impact finish spaces downstairs while renovations are underway. Best of luck on your project.
    ...See More

please help with master bath and closet that will open to rear deck

Q

Comments (15)
    My top item in that category would be a curbless shower. Curbless showers aren't realistic in a remodel. Anyway, the OP doesn't have the necessary space. Even if this weren't true, the OP has already ordered a shower pan, and IF I looked at the right thing, it has a 3 15/16 (might as well say 4") curb. Also, reinforcing the bathroom walls in case you need grab bars Yes, an excellent idea -- but I'd say go ahead and put in the grab bars now /use grab bars for towel rods. It won't take much extra effort, and then it's DONE. ; putting the toilet next to a wall to left or right (i.e. not in the middle of a wall), so you can easily add a grab bar later The toilet's fine where it is. A grab bar can go on the side of the vanity, and the shower can have a wall or a half-wall on the other side of the toilet. Good suggestions on light switches, levers for the sink, etc. Yes, a hand-held shower makes cleaning easier -- true for the body AND the shower itself. Also consider: - Ample niches or shelves in the shower ... put in double what you think you need, and you won't have to deal with bottles on the floor. - A body dryer to eliminate /reduce the need for towels: https://www.tornadobodydryer.com/  - Heated flooring in the bathroom. - Storage at the toilet ... useful for extra toilet paper now and you may need medical supplies at the toilet one day. - Dimable light switches that can serve as night lights. - An outlet behind the toilet since you mentioned a Toto washlet.
    ...See More
  • Oaktown
    8 years ago

#3 with pocket door and add a window to the toilet room. This allows for the nicer setup in the other bedroom suite. Have you considered sliding bypass doors for the reach-in closets?

mary8153 thanked Oaktown
  • kirkhall
    8 years ago

Where will you hang your towels in any of the 3?

mary8153 thanked kirkhall
  • mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for the great ideas.

Autumn.4 and cpartist, I agree that the small vanity on
    number 2 is causing problems and have jettisoned that one. I attached a revised
    Number 3 that includes Autumn’s pocket door suggestion. I also found a spot for
    a linen closet by reorienting the entry and larger wic door.

Oaktown, I added a window to the wc. I also moved the entry
    door down to the right to get it away from the closet. I have thought about
    sliders but I like how a double door opens up the whole closet. I think moving
    the door away from the closet helps.

Kirkhall, a towel holder? isn’t that what DH is for? Sorry I
    think I used that one before. I am thinking that I could place some nice hooks to the
    left of the vanity or on the wc wall. I could also do something with the area to the left of the
    bathroom door though that could be a good area for a chair or a little makeup
    desk.

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

Do the closets have to be entered through a hallway? Could they be entered through the bedroom or bathroom? If the answer is yes then there could be a way to reclaim that wasted hall space in the master suite and make it usable space.

mary8153 thanked tcufrog
  • autumn.4
    8 years ago

Well in lieu of DH, in case he is not at the ready, I think you have room for one of those heated towel stands. How nice would that be?!

I like your amended #3 with the pocket door and the linen. That is much more convenient and private - in case DH has taken the towels to do a load of wash before you realized it and found yourself in the tub with no towel and no dh. ;D

I like the hall closet entry. The less doors off the bedroom the more quiet and less traffic. You get up and go out, shower, closets right there without having to go back into the bedroom and disturb who may still be asleep. JMO.

• mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again everyone,

Tcufrog, you really got me thinking about the wasted space/hallway.
    Also all those doors are far from ideal. I had a very minor eureka moment and realized
    that if I flipped the master to the right side of the house I could place the entry
    door directly into the bedroom and have a much more efficient layout. The one issue I have with the door is where
    to put it. I don’t want it directly at the top of the stair. Bad Feng Shui. It
    still needs some tweaking but I am wondering what everyone's thought are.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

I like the proximity to the office with the flip too. I like the closet configuration. I am not sure where to put the door either but agree you don't want it right at the top of the stairs. Can the stairs be flipped?

• bpath
    8 years ago

That WAS a eureka moment. Just hinge the door on the other side, and I think it's in a good spot. Not RIGHT in front of the stairs, but no wall right in front, either.

If Br 3's bathroom had the fixtures on the opposite wall, a door could move so it could be an ensuite. Unless there's a reason a hall bath is needed upstairs?

mary8153 thanked bpath
  • cpartist
    8 years ago

Ok to add to your eureka moment, I flipped the stairs and the WD so now you have a hallway leading to your bedroom and the office and your door doesn't open onto the stairway. sorry I have to do a link. My computer is too old so the photo upload doesn't work here.

Flipped Stairway

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Hmm, I still prefer the privacy and dead end to the office and master I think, JMO. But the laundry is more convenient with cpartist's changes as well.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Personally I still prefer the way you had it originally with your bedroom on the left side and #3 with the changes regarding a pocket door. I think it works better as a master suite. Plus you're not walking through closets to get to your bathroom. Personally, I don't like the feeling of a narrow "hall" with closets on either side to get to my master.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I like that you changed the bedroom 4 door in the flip. It puts the kids' bedrooms further from the master suite. While I like option 1 for the bathroom, I did try something a little different. If you don't need the closet in the office...and you like each bedroom to be a little different (with their own personality) this may work.

In Bedroom 3, I'd probably have the oldest or youngest child...since that little corner could be a study area or a toy nook. Even a really nice reading area, with a throw pillow!

If you don't like the bedrooms changed, I'd still try the new master closet/dressing room...with french doors into the master. It makes it feel more like a suite, IMHO.

As for the plants...I'm stuck in the office today, so I have to see a little green :)

mary8153 thanked Lavender Lass
  • Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

For comparison...here's the original plan, with master closet changes and bedroom 4 door moved. It makes the master bedroom a few feet smaller, but it really makes a nice entry/dressing area. And less cramped second closet, too :)

• mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone,

Autum.4, the stair can’t be fully flipped as the side garage
    wall would cross it in the basement. A more centered stairway flip is doable as
    CP has it but with other issues.

Bpathome, the master
    door is still bugging me. If I flip the hinge it will open right onto my future
    media wall. Unfortunately Bathroom 2 is
    shared with both BR3 and BR2. I also want at least one bathroom open to the
    main area just in case the office ever gets converted to a bedroom or guests
    are upstairs in the office.

CPartist, thank you so much for the redesign. Every idea
    helps to hone this thing down. I think
    the 2nd floor as you have it looks great. The only problem is the
    impact on the 1st floor. The stair would now run directly out the
    front door (there goes my Feng Shui health and wealth) and the foyer would be
    increased by 3 ft in length at the expense of the breakfast area. You did give me the idea of having a straight
    stairway which would end right about where the back of the L is. It’s not quite
    as dramatic of a stairway but would solve my door problems with the master. Any
    thoughts on a straight stairway? ( see below)

Deciding between the new right hand master and the left hand
    one is tough. One thing I would point out is that though it’s not as closed in
    you still need to walk almost the same distance down a hallway to the master in
    the left hand design as you do in the new one.

Lavender_lass, thanks
    so much for all the work. Between CPartist's, yours, my old one and my
    new one I have a tough decision to make. They all have so many positive to
    them. As CP once said, I may need a poll.

2nd floor straight stairway option

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

My best advice...you have plenty of room in this home, so avoid any bottlenecks in access ways being used by two people.

Narrow halls, tight closet areas and walking into the side of a sink (or into the person in front of it) just will not work as well...and you have the space to avoid these issues.

Find a plan that you love, which keeps that spaciousness of a very nice, larger home...and doesn't end up feeling cramped. Especially in the areas you use every day! :)

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Mary, can you post again how many children you have living at home and their ages? Are all three bedrooms for the kids or is bedroom 4 (with its own bath) a guest room?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Yes in both you need to walk down a hallway. I do a bit in mine too. However in the left hand one it's not between closets so it won't feel as closed in. I'm all for maximizing space but there are also times where a bit of extra space helps to make you feel less closed in.

Also remind me about the straight stair run. it seems like it was such a long time ago. LOL.

• mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lavender_Lass and CPartist, I completely agree that spreading out should be the goal. I think my husband's engineering background has rubbed off on me a bit and I was initially attracted to the efficiency and symmetry of the right side master suite. Now I'm not so sure.

As for us, we
    are in our forties and have three early teenagers. My son who is 15 and my two daughters 13 and 11. My son would get his own bathroom as my girls currently share a bathroom without too many fights.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

And in 3 years when your son is off to college if they want, the girls can split up and each take a bathroom.

Additionally as you had it in your first post in #3, you'll have a larger closet. You deserve it.

Like i said, I am all for efficiency regarding layouts and tried to utilize every space in my home for that reason. However, there are times like I said, when a little extra space is a good thing. You're not having wasted space so you're fine.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Here's another idea. Son's room (he seems too old for boy's room) is now in front...with his own bath. This would be great location for future guest room.

Since he has his own bath....I gave the girls window seats and hutches for books, display, etc. Their bathroom is slightly bigger (I think) and should have a larger sink/vanity area. I redrew that space a lot! LOL

The laundry is a bit smaller, but easier to access. Light from other spaces should make this a bit sunnier and I added a few examples after the plan. Also...have you considered putting in a stackable washer/dryer in your closet? Maybe even an extra linen cabinet? There's room in this plan :)

Washer and dryer in built-in cabinets...goes away when not needed and just looks like pretty storage!

And....maybe washer/dryer in your closet?

• mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks lavender_lass, I like that design as well. Now I'm really confused with so many options:) As Cpartist has wisely stated I should stop over thinking pick one and go but that as I'm sure you know isn't so easy. and only two more floors to go:)
    I know a lot of people like to have a washer/dryer in their closet but I don't think it would work for me. Most importantly, my kids do their own laundry and I certainly don't want my brand new walk-in to end up looking like my current laundry room.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

I still think 3 in the first post was the best. And I think your laundry room where it is is fine.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Laundry in hall for kids...laundry in closet for you and DH. Saves walking down hall with laundry basket and (hopefully) encourages kids to do their own laundry :)

While you do need to decide...it's much easier to make changes on paper! Don't rush the planning stage and pay more in the construction process. Sometimes a lot more!

How is planning going on the other two floors? I've seen versions, but probably not the latest one. Remember, it's never going to be the perfect plan, but you can hopefully eliminate the obvious 'problem areas' and also add some fun and unique details.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Cpart- The laundry room is fine, but there's no window and it's pretty small. It still might be a better fit 'as is' but it's never a bad idea to provide alternatives.

I'd much rather have the kids do their laundry in the hall and just start their load and have to get it done and back in their room as quickly as possible. Good practice for doing their laundry in college or first apartment! Meanwhile, parents can do their laundry in their suite and not have to do kids' laundry, so they can get their own done.

Another difference in this plan is bedroom placement. I would want the girls' rooms on the back for more privacy, but that's me. Everyone has their own preferences and maybe the view or light is better in front and one of the girls likes to paint.

• mary8153
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again Lavender_lass and Cpartist. I like alternatives as well as definite opinions so thank you both:) My other floors are close but not quite ready for their unveiling. What's good is that when the top floor has me completely flustered I can switch to the basement and get flustered some more.