SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

What is the difference in shower waterproofing liners?

By Any Design Ltd.
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Last night I received an email from California asking me the difference in shower liners. Specifically the difference between NobleSeal CIS and a rubber membrane or hot mop. This lady is in California and is starting the steps of doing over her curbless shower because the first one failed.

Understanding the difference between the two systems is key to avoiding failures like she had. So, what is the difference between different type of shower liners? Lets look at that and why I think NobelSeal CIS should be used for most curb-less showers.

Waterproofing showers is a challenging job with so many options. You can make custom metal pans, Use a hot mop, Use a rubber liner, a pvc liner, you can use liquid waterproofing, cementious waterproofing or one of the dozen choices in topical sheet membranes.

My favourite topical sheet membrane of late is Laticrete's Hydro Ban Sheet Membrane (put not for the shower floor). I have been using lots of it to build my steam room projects but it is not my first choice for the shower floors in my barrier free showers since it is not designed to be used with a traditional clamping style drain. To tie into a clamping drain you need a liner that is between 30 and 40 mils thick. Your bank card or Visa card is 30 mils thick. A mil is a thousandth of an inch so it is 30/1000" or 40/1000". Now if you use one of Laticrete's drains you can use their membrane but my preference for barrier free shower builds is the ACO linear shower drain.

This particular job in California was one that an ACO linear drain was used with the ACO clamping drain.

Capillary Breaks for Barrier Free Shower Designs · More Info

An approved shower liner was used and a recess in the subfloor was made to alllow for the barrier free design. The problem was the shower liner used on the job was one designed for a regular shower - one that has a curb or shower dam. California hot mops and rubber or PVC liners do not in my opinion allow for a curbless shower build. The big reason why or main difference I see is the amount of concrete that needs to be added over top of them prior to installing the tile.

Lets say you use a black rubber membrane or Hot Mop. You need to install something like a 4-1 mix at the very least 1 1/4" over top. ideally more in the 1 1/2" - 2" level. If you want a premium mortar bed then Laticrete's 3701 is ideal and what I use, but this requires a 2" height and 2"x2" galvanized mesh reinforcing. Now if you prepare your floors for tile you can bond Noble Company's NobleSeal CIS or TS right to the floor. Then tile right on top. No 1 1/4" - 2" built up over top. This is the key to understanding the differences in the membranes.

Something like NobleSeal CIS, Kerdi, Hydro Ban Sheet Membrane, DalSeal TS and on and on is the way the product is made. The sheets all have a fury mesh or fleece attached to them that allows thin-set to stick to it. This means you can bond your membrane the floor and then tile straight away. I also find I can bond a stainless tile edging like Schluter's to this membrane and in affect make a little capillary break in the shower floor.

So what can go wrong if you decide that the process I follow is excessive and that regular shower liner is fine. Have a look at these pictures. I am reposting them (with permission) in hopes of helping other people understand this key design step.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths