SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ford_amyl6307

Green leaves falling off rose bush. HELP!!

Amy Ford
8 years ago

5 springs ago I moved into my home and my husband and I discovered we had a rose bush growing in our front yard after digging up and destroying a yucca that had gone wild. The rose bush slowly started to grow and we let it grow so we could try to find out the type we had. By the beginning of our 3rd spring the rose bush was taller than our 6 ft privacy fence so we pruned the bush down to about 3 ft! But we still did not get any blooms. Finally by our 4th spring, (and the bush being full but well ventilated), it was full of beautiful dark red blooms. Once all the blooms opened, the bush dropped all of its green leafs. There were not any black spots or yellowing of the leaves. We kept the bush watered throughout the summer and it barely put on new leaves and never produced additional blooms. We also fertilized and treated with insecticides and wetable dusting sulphur without success. Well, our 5th spring is here now and the bush has repeated its actions from last spring except it only produced a few blooms insteaad of being covered in them. Can someone tell me what might be going on with this "wild" rose bush and what I should do to to it?

Comments (13)