SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_72015

New BnB Chanticleer Pear not leafing out?

Catherine Di Stasio Morgenstern
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone! We just planted a bunch of trees in our new construction (read: barren) backyard this spring in Zone 5a (chicago 'burbs, Naperville IL). In particular, my landscaper planted a BnB Chanticleer Pear tree that was about 2.5 caliper sized, so pretty big in my opinion.

This was the first tree to go in the ground, 4 weeks ago. It had flower buds on it when it came. Since then, all the flowers arrested and are now brown. There are no, zero, nada leaf buds on the tree. Obviously all the other pear trees in the area are leafed out now, and all the other trees (container grown and much smaller) that we planted at the same time are happy and leafed out. the pear though is clearly freaking out.

Scratch test revealed green under the trunk.

Now, I already regret this tree because I just learned that it is getting invasive in my area. I didn't know. So maybe I'm biased, but I'm ready to call uncle on the tree and pull it out. 4 weeks, not a single leaf bud.

What do you think? How long do I give it before I call in the warranty and have the landscapers pull it?

Thank you!

Comments (4)