SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marielle8

I lost the sweetest dog

marielle
8 years ago

About 2 years ago I adopted an older female dog (around 10) at the local shelter, a black female border collie X.

She got along with my 2 other dogs, my cats. An extremely gentle and loving dog. She was doing very poorly at the shelter and really thrive here with us. Last March I took her twice to the vet because she was in pain and the pain seems to be coming from her lower belly. Her anal glands were compacted and the pain was attributed to this (she had a thorough exam and they took several x-rays). I returned home with some anitibiotics and painkillers. Mid April I noticed a red hard lump on her lower belly that she was licking and I cleaned it thinking it was just a bit infected. I didn't think more of it until Monday when I saw her licking herself there and took a look and I couldn't believe what I saw and felt...she had multiple growths, some reddish, some large ones attached to the skin. A very aggressive cancer, mammary gland tumors and I had to have her euthanized this week. She had been more quiet the last few weeks but being 12, I wasn't alarmed.

We had a very hard winter here and Spring is just starting and I keep on thinking I should have left the vet with her and some painkillers for her to enjoy the sun and some warmer weather. I should have postponed the euthanasia for a few weeks. I had just bought her a huge bone for her to enjoy. The vet made it clear she was at a point of no return, the cancer would spread to her lungs, heart. But still I can't stop crying, I should have waited a few more weeks. Over the years I have had many pets euthanized and I always thought I waited too long, I was being selfish. This time I was sure I was taking the right decision, not wait too long, and still I have regrets.

Thank you for reading this long post

Comments (10)