SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaredct

Soil modifications for Blueberries

jaredct
9 years ago

I currently have a 100 sq. ft. (12'x8'x11") raised bed that I want to plant blueberry bushes in this weekend (12 plants in total already purchased on sale). The soil composition is Cedar Grove Vegetable Garden Mix which is compost/sand/sandy loam that is light/fast draining with a pH of between 6.5-7.0.

Lowering the pH: I've read that this needs to be lowered to a pH of 5.0 using sulfur, so I have purchase 2 products, Espoma Soil Acidifier (sulfur 30%; 18% free, 12% combined) and Encap Fast Acting Sulfur (calcium 11.0%, sulfur 49.0%; 40% Free/9% combined). Both are derived from elemental sulfur and gypsum, with Encap having a higher percentage of Sulfur and Calcium.

• Which of these would be better?
  • If I want to plant this weekend, would it be better to till the product into the soil, top dress the bed, or top dress the plants to prevent burning the roots?
  • Should I water with a vinegar mixture a couple of months while the Blueberries produce until the Sulfur kicks in (or will the soil from their pots keep them good until then)?
  • Should I try to lower by 2 pH, or do two applications, and if so, when?
  • Espoma states 12lb/100 sq. ft. to lower by 1 pH. Should I stick to this or modify if I use the Espoma?

Additions to the soil: I have a bunch of possible additions, including: Douglas Fir "shavings" (tons of ground up stump about 8 mo. old), leaves from dogwood, an entire vine maple that I plan on removing, pine needles, can buy peat moss locally at $5/8 quarts, and a bunch of beauty bark (I'm not a big fan, so I wouldn't want to add it unless it would provide a lot of benefit). I have a tiller to till anything in

• What would be the most beneficial additions to the soil of these or anything else?

• Is a mulch needed if I am using soaker hoses to water?

• Will the additions permanently alter the soil if I want to move the Blueberries in a couple of years (or should I just move the soil as well)?

I have been spending many hours reading trying to figure out the best course of action, so I definitely appreciate any help!

Comments (5)