SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centexan254

Brandy Boy Vs Red Brandy Master

I am at last posting this as promised.

I promised a comparison of the two from another thread.

Well I will be posting pics to this in a little while. I have some chores to do before I can post a whole lot more I am at this time just getting the thread started. I am trying to keep things as fair as I can given the conditions I have had to work with.

Sorry folks some things are just going to be a bit skewed this year. Brandy Master was started a couple of weeks before the Brandy Boy was. Brandy Boy was planted as soon as I had seeds for it. Seeds for both were purchased off of the store rack at either Home Depot, or Lowe's. The seeds for Brandy Master were on the shelf before the seed for Brandy Boy were so they were started earlier.

The lights used were standard 4 foot shop lights sold in the box stores. Bulbs are standard Phillips T8 Daylight bulbs. Price for the lights and the bulbs was around $25 or so for fixtures, and bulbs together. A small 6 inch oscilating fan was used to simulate wind, and keep up airflow. I use a large 20 inch box fan to move air into the closet to if it got above 80 inside for very long.

Both germinated in less than week in an area that was kept at around 80 or so degrees. I did not use bottom heat on either. I used Miracle Grow Organic Seed Starting Mix cut with a bit more perlite. I used mini green houses to start the seeds in. When they had a few sets of true leaves I potted them up to 20 ounce party cups with plenty of drain holes made with a soldering pencil. The distance from the lights to the plants was kept at 3 inches or so until they were moved to my reloading bench for the last 12 days before I was able to harden them off. At that point they did get leggy. (Sometimes it just works out that way. We had an unusualy long cold snap at the end of the winter this year. Though the weather was great afterwards so I will not fume over it.)

Both were kept under lights before hardening off. I ended up with both plants on the leggy side of things as I had to wait an extra week before starting the process to harden them off. I ran out of room under the lights in my closet, and had to move them to the shelf on my ammo reloading bench. All of my seedlings were bottom watered. I started all off on a dilution of Miracle Grow All Purpose (Blue Stuff) diluted to one quarter tea spoon to a gallon of water given when they had the first two full sets of true leaves. That was maintained until they had 4 full sets of true leaves. Then the fertilizer was picked up to half a teaspoon per gal. until they were planted out. All were potted up into my own 5-1-1 mix that used MG shake and feed for tomatoes mixed in.

Ok I will stop with the long winded part, and just post things. I like to give at least some of the back ground as best as I can from my scatter brained mind.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County