SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_peltier

Am I wrong to not want to attend my step-son's wedding?

Karen Peltier
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am literally in fear over this wedding. I am not going to go into too much background, but at my step-daughter's wedding last year, wow!, it was a huge mess. I went to that wedding assuming I would be treated like my husband's wife, and the message in many, many ways was that I was not wanted there one iota. And, no, please do not assume I was having an affair with dad prior to our marriage. I was not. At the time I went to my step-daughter's wedding, bio-dad and I had been married for 14 years and I thought we got along well. However, having now done some research, I do understand more-so the complexities of having bio-mom and step-mom together in the same place, even though bio-mom and bio-dad's marriage may have broken up years ago. Anyway, I am very happy for my step-son and he is marrying a wonderful woman, but things went so wrong at my step-daughter's wedding that I am literally in fear of attending step-son's wedding coming up now this year. I see some sites where step-mothers complain about not getting a corsage or something like that. Geez. I wish that was all that went wrong for me. I would have more than welcomed just that! That I wouldn't have even noticed. To put it simply and politiely, I was pretty much kept apart from my husband throughout the entire wedding, in one way or another, and never saw it coming. Anyway, I feel terrified, scared and frightened at this point to attend step-son's wedding. Now, assuming I even get an invite, could I put something on the invite about I love you dearly, but I am going to politely decline, and dad of course will be there? I don't know. I'd especially like to hear from other steps in similar situation. I know I have to have further discussions with hubby/bio-dad over this too. I just felt so blindsided at step-daughter's wedding. Going to his son's wedding for me would be like walking onto a firing range, which is really, really horrible, because I should be 100% happy for them, supportive, and wanting to go.

Comments (74)