SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_cotton3542452

Different Formica Laminate Countertop Edge Options

Beth Cotton
8 years ago

Hi I am learning about all of the different possibilities for laminate countertop edges and I want to make sure I have my facts correct. I was wondering if I could list out our options here and you guys could correct me if I am wrong/add advice etc.

Our kitchen details: We are thinking of using Formica 180fx Laminate in Jet Sequoia. I don't have any corners in my kitchen.

-We do have a small area that is 6 feet long on 15 inch deep cabinets, so that is not a typical countertop depth.

-The main area 11 feet by 25 inches (includes sink cutout)

-Third area is 18 inches by 25 inches.

-I also have a kitchen cart that I could like to consider using the same countertop on as the rest of the kitchen it is 30 inches wide and the depth could be any where from 18 inches to 25 inches.

There is a possibility I could use butcher block on the last small area and the cart.

Edge Option A:

Post form laminate- (bullnose, pencil edge-seems like there are a lot of different names depending on the fabricator?).

This is made at a fabricator and the laminate is wrapped around the front edge. The sides of countertops would have laminated glued to them and a potential to show the brown seam. Questions: I don't want the attached backsplash--can you get this type of edge without the backsplash? Also is this available only 1.5 inch thickness or could you do a 3cm thickness?

Edge Option B:

Square/Self Edge. This is where the laminate edge is just glued onto the front and sides of the counter and a brown seam might show. This could be done by a skilled handyman/diy person. can be made in 1.5 thickness of 3cm thickness. I worry a bit about the brown seam and this edge eventually peeling/chipping etc.

Edge Option C:

Ideal Edge Bullnose--same edge all the way around. Corners are mitered. tiny seams and no dark line showing. This could be done by a skilled handyman/diy person. I think this is only available in the 1.5 inches thickness.

I am also curious about how these edges hold up/look and which option cost the most--which I guess depends on which fabricator you use.

Thanks for the information!

Comments (14)