SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodstea23

Ideas for quick screen planting in front of porch

WoodsTea 6a MO
9 years ago

I have a couple of old junipers in front of my east-facing screen porch that are getting a bit unmanageable these days as they sprawl in different directions trying to find light. I have to cut them back quite a bit each year so that the sidewalk is still usable, so I'm thinking it's nearing time to replace them with something new. If I do I'll miss the privacy they give the porch.

Any suggestions for a partial sun annual or fast-growing perennial, native to the central US, say 3-5 feet high, that will maintain decent structure through the fall? It's mesic soil, reasonably drained silty clay loam, probably somewhat acidic although I haven't yet had the soil tested. In the long term the area will get shadier and may involve shrubs, moving the sidewalk farther away, etc., but I'm not ready to put a lot of effort into it now since I'm busy working on a rain garden in the back yard.

I've thought about a shorter Joe Pye Weed like E. dubium 'Little Joe'. It's not native to my area and would probably require some irrigation during the summer, but it's available locally and seems like it would fill space quickly.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor