SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhorn4sur

Too Many Raspberry Suckers , When Is Best Time Too Cut Or Pull

Greenhorn2
9 years ago

Hi Gang...this is a question i'm facing now as my Raspberry Varieties mostly Everbearing are suckering like crazy now...in a month or 2 it will be a jungle literally.

I know there is a formula for how many per foot and how close they should be, but Cornell told me if i prune young tender suckers early it will force the plant to send up more suckers, on the other hand you need air and breathing room around those canes so you don't invite disease.

Typically most everbearing pruning i see on youtube videos say do it after the spring crop is done and thin the herd for weak and sickly canes, however all my stuff is looking very healthy, but indicision has got me on when to prune now or later during season, not after.

I don't think you can yank or pull these tender suckers yet until the canes become hard enough to work with, that is problematic in itself

Many experienced raspberry growers here like Drew and JD prob know from years of experience how to deal with this

My Summer varieties are not many, however they are not suckering anywhere near the quantity of my Everbearing except Prelude which is a hybrid of both i feel, prob 30 suckers coming up and soon they will be 4-5 feet

Any and all help with this specific problem is greatly appreciated.

thanx

Comments (2)