SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summeragnew

Ficus lyrata pruning help

john smith
9 years ago

Hello

I'd love some pruning advice for my Fiddle leaf fig.

My tree has a single trunk which I think will soon be too skinny to handle weight of new leaves. It's already top heavy and beginning to lean over. I want to create something with a strong vertical self supporting trunk that can handle some branching at the top. Ideally I'd like mine to look something like these other 2 pictures below - 3ish branches and a tall solid trunk. It's spring here in Europe so I think a good time to act?

I have just noticed a new single branch has occurred (you can see this in the photo of my tree at top - the 2 little leaves pointing at the window 3/4 of the way up trunk are part of this new branch).

Should I lop the top off the tree just above this new branch? or to ensure a stronger trunk do I need to be a little more ruthless and lop the top off further down like halfway up ?

And should I make the cut below a leaf (leaving long piece of trunk at top, or just above a leaf so there is less bare trunk sticking up, or roughly halfway between leaves?

Also can I repot and prune the roots at the same time as lopping the top off? Or should re pot and root prune be done next spring to avoid shocking the plant? Also when pruning roots is a good approach to cut away the big thicker roots and preserve the small thinner ones, or remove a combination of both?

Many thanks for your help

Comments (3)