SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_socal

Input requested on various rooting methods...

tom_socal
9 years ago

Hello All -

I am a relative newbie to this and mostly gotten cuttings locally and I root them using the 'conventional' method. My results seems varied. I don't think I am doing things differently between cuttings but some seems to have rotted on me, others seems to root fairly quickly and others just seems to just sit there for a while. The varied results comes even from cuttings from the same parent tree! I root them in clear plastic cups/bottles so I can see the roots. Some times I give up after a few months and pull the cutting out of the pot/bottle and I see the bottom 2-3inches rotted inside out (i.e. thin layer of skin while inside is totally empty/rotted away) and as I then tear off the bottom loose skin and get to where things are solid again, I see roots hidden inside that bottom skin layer and regret disturbing it...

At any rate, I decided to place an order with Derrick at Piece of Paradise and should be getting the shipment soon so reading up on the various methods to decide what I should do. I am intrigued by the water rooting method advocated by Freak4Plumeria.

I did some searching and reading and found this old thread here from last year.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2116765/best-and-quickest-rooting-method

It seems water rooting + bag rooting after the 3 weeks in water is another method that could speed things along.

Freak and all - would love to hear your comments and any updated thoughts of what you think of that new water + bag rooting method.

I also see that mjhuntingtonbeach tried the water rooting method and the "the magic just ain't there" for him. I live just next to HB so climate should be similar so might be very relevant to me.

At any rate, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Right now I'm leaning on splitting the cuttings into 3 groups and doing 3 methods: A. water rooting (max 3 weeks in water with ST + pot up and water more frequently/keep moist) B. Water + Bag per link above. C. "Traditional"/Conventional put in a pot and don't water until leaves.

Not quite sure if the results would be comparable or how to interpret since the cuttings are of different varieties/cultivars but it might give me a sense of what's "easier" to do balanced with quickness to roots/leaves.

Would love your input!

Comments (27)