SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

Different Methods of Adding Organic Matter

tigerdawn
13 years ago

I have a bed that I converted from Bermuda lawn 3 years ago. In the fall I put down a layer each of newspaper, manure, paper shreds, and cypress mulch. The next spring, the growing tips of my bulbs were burned by the manure so I won't be doing that again! But other than adding more mulch, I haven't done anything else to it. This spring I notice my plants aren't performing like they should and I think I'd better add some OM soon.

I'd like input on the actual method of adding organic matter to an existing bed with things growing in it. I have a hoe and 2 kinds of rakes but no tillng tools. I'm worried about disturbing the roots of my existing plants and also burning. I am not opposed to using a commercial fertilizer this spring if I need to ammend in the fall when things go dormant. In fact, I think I have some VegetablesAlive fertilizer I could use. I am planning to grow tomatoes and sweet potatoes in that bed along with my daffodils and forsythia and random perennials. This year my garden is quite the hodgepodge! (I'm rennovating the vegetable bed this year to make it more user-friendly.)

Comments (8)