SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandoncakes

ROSE HELP - Curled Leaves, Burned Shoots, Dark Veins

Brandon Cakes
9 years ago

Aloha everyone!

My name is Brandon, and I am new to the forum. I've been lurking as a visitor for quite some time, and have all my questions answered here. I do have one though, any ideas what's wrong with my roses?

I purchased 3 bareroot roses from Regan Nursery back in January, and had them arrive here in Hawaii in February. Two own-roots - Eden(Pierre de Ronsard) and Pretty In Pink Eden(Margaret Mae) - and the third is a grafted Joseph's Coat. Joseph is doing really well right now, no sign of whatever the other roses have, and double in size. Whatever's going on in that pot, I'm wishing would happen to the rest! Both Edens have the "burned" shoots and curling leaves. I also ordered a few own-roots from Heirloom Roses - Portlandia, A Shropshire Lad, Abraham Darby, Crown Princess Margareta, Dublin Bay, Ginger Syllabub, and Jude The Obscure. They took off, and looked wonderful, but now they're getting hit with whatever this is. Most of them are showing the curling leaves, but Portlandia has some dark veins, and the blooms have been extremely tiny since the leaves started to curl. Locally, I purchased 2 Americas which have been blooming and increasing in size...but now they're getting the curled leaves.

The leaves that are curled, are extremely stunted. Is there some sort of deficiency? They're also pretty hard and crispy feeling. As for the burned shoots, the black parts just break off if touched. Any ideas what could be going on? Here is the potting medium(10 gallon pots): 1/2 potting soil, 1/2 compost, a good shovel of steer manure(purchased from a garden center), and about a cup of bone meal blended in. There's a good layer of cedar mulch around the base as well. I did over fertilize once with Miracle Grow Rose Food. I used the wrong side of the spoon and fed it to all the roses. After learning of this, I over watered them all to flush out the food. I don't think this could have been the problem though, because Dublin Bay, Jude The Obscure, A Shropshire Lad, and Ginger Syllabub have all come in AFTER I overfed, and are all having these symptoms. We have been having some strong winds, but that too may not be a problem considering Joseph is so large and nice, and only have leaf tears.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals