SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth09

Dark cabinet owners, (previous and current) please weigh in.

beth09
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all. While making a comment in this thread, I asked a question that was then suggested by another poster I ask in here. I was already contemplating that very thing, so here I am. I am hoping this will not only help me, but others as well with the same concern.

To reiterate, I have been gearing up for a kitchen remodel for about the last year. One thing I was certain of was that I wanted dark cabinets. Not as dark say as Espresso, but a nice rich dark chocolate brown/walnut, somewhere in there. And, having a south facing kitchen, and not a ton of cabinets, I thought I was good to go. Until a few days ago, when I suddenly looked around (on a sunny day) and thought to myself, this kitchen is not that bright to me all things considered.

I have a 60 year old ranch with an overhang. The cabinets in here are the originals, Birch I am told. We painted the slab doors white 25 years ago.

I don't like overhead lighting. I do use the canned light above my sink a lot, and a small lamp that sits on a divider of sorts that is part cabinet, part "wall" for stove and DW to sit against. I use that lamp all the time, but will lose that perch in the reno. There will be nowhere to put something like that. I will have UCL and I think I will really love it. And something will have to go over the eating table, will try to make that softer, ambient lighting. But that's pretty much on the lighting, not loving the idea of more cans, but could if I have to.The sun shines IN the kitchen during the fall/winter months, but that's it. There is a small set of double windows above the sink, and a med (?) size set of double in the eating area.

I don't have a ton of cabinets nor will I when I am done. L shape with upper and lower (let's say 11 cabs 5 drawer), but because I will lose some in the placement of the DW and stove, I am considering getting a bid to put something in the wall that the basement stairs are behind.

So my concern is, will this make the kitchen too dark? I like warm, rich, cozy type rooms. If I went dark, I wouldn't necessarily want very light BS, counter and floor. I would like something with the warmth of say, susan466's kitchen. Not the black appliances, I am wanting stainless, but the general feel of the room with darker counter and med BS (I really love hers) and my floor would be a bit darker I think. Or sochi's kitchen, which I can't find a link for now but I'm sure some are familar.

If I thought this would be too dark for the room, I "could" go light. Not white, but maybe cream/antique white. I love this kitchen, a lot. So I guess I am not married to dark cabs like I thought I was.

Tillinghast · More Info

But my question is, for those that went dark (and especially from light to dark), what was your experience/feelings? Love, hate, adjustment? Please share all your thoughts. I never thought I would even get an entire redo, I cannot make a mistake.

Thank you all in advance. I have lurked here for a couple years, and many of you unknowingly helped me redo my LR awhile back. :)

Comments (157)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!