SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Squash Bug & Cucumber Beetle Alert

This is y'all's "prepare for battle" warning.

Yesterday I committed mass murder, ending the lives of 5 squash bugs and 2 cucumber beetles. It seems too early here for squash bugs, but we do always have cucumber beetles this early.

I have 3 cucumber plants in one pot and 3 squash plants in another. I'm not really growing them for the purpose of having cucumbers and squash as they are in pots too small for 3 plants of their type. Their purpose is to serve as trap crops to catch the early squash bugs so I can find them and kill them before they find and kill my actual squash crop (which isn't even planted yet, though I have some small squash and melon plants growing in paper cups and ready to go into the garden if it ever stops raining). Yesterday I placed the two containers squarely in the middle of the garden's main path so I'd have to pass by them constantly and keep an eye out for pests. As soon as I saw the pests on these plants, I killed the pests.

I don't know how much farther behind us the rest of you are further north in terms of the emergence or appearance of garden pests, but I thought I'd mention they already are here so you can be watching for them to arrive there.

Dawn

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County