SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Acer Palmatum var. Dissectum Red Select -zone 7a (South of Charlotte)

I included my zone and location in the subject because different websites list my zone between 7a-8. Better to be safe than sorry, I think, so I go with 7a. I purchased a Red Select yesterday at Aldi. I know, probably not the smartest purchase. Nevertheless, this little tree in it's 6 1/2" pot is now home with me. I intended to plant it on the NE side of my house about 3-4 ft. from the foundation to make it part of a bed. It would get morning and early afternoon sun. Since it's so small, I am concerned about it surviving the summer heat, and if it makes it, the winter cold. Should I plant it in the ground or let it grow in a container for a season or two. If containerized, what kind of potting material is suggested? Would I take it in for the winter? I have an unheated basement that can get to around 45 at night. If planting it in the ground is the way to go, how should I amend the planting hole? I have tree gators, so I can keep it moist (maybe too moist?). Should I provide winter protection? I really want it to survive and I am willing to baby it and make it a labor of love if possible. Thanks

Comments (6)

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

I think any Japanese maple would be very happy in zone 7! Morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal, but I think you'll be fine. Many varieties can stand some early afternoon sun. In general, in-ground trees do better, but many people grow containerized maples. You just have to be more careful about the drainage and potting medium. Don't over-water-- JMs don't like a lot of damp. As for winter cold, don't worry about it at all and don't bring it inside (unless it's potted, the you might want to move it to a wind-sheltered area). Acer palmatum won't be anywhere near its cold limit in zone 7. Now it's time to read up on care--

http://www.mendocinomaples.com/maple-care

http://www.davidsansjapanesemaples.com/growing-tips/care-guide/#section_2_2

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I agree with the above. Yours is a very suitable climate and situation for a Japanese maple. Go ahead and plant it. These are much tougher little trees than many give them credit for.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both so much. You helped me make a decision - I am going to plant them in the ground! Thank you for the links Magpie; I am reading up. I have a shih tzu named Maggie and I call her Magpie :).

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    9 years ago

Enjoy! :) And with that zone, you might want to check out other varieties. ;) If you really want to get in trouble, go check out Vertrees' book on Japanese maples. Sooooo many lovely cultivars!

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To amend or not to amend the soil? I've read both links and I am not sure which way to go. Our "soil" is heavy red clay/ grey clay muck. Solid as a rock when it gets wet then dries. I always amend when I plant trees. I dig the hole 3x wider than the rootball and also at least 2x as deep. I then fill in the bottom with garden soil and/or top soil and compost - all mixed together. I still plant the tree high and create a mound. I just can't believe most plants/trees can survive in that clay. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths