SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarearuthie2

Tree Peony in nearby rental yard, going to pot

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

There is a run-down rental house in my neighborhood, that has been going to pot for years. It's had a steady stream of college-age renters in there, with absentee landlords who bought the home as an investment property. The home was obviously owned by a wonderful gardener at one time, and has a beautiful tree peony (barely recognizable among the weeds) as well as an ancient lilac, a forest of azaleas, and several other notable plants--the tree peony being the loveliest, in my opinion.

I know nothing about tree peonies--having only owned herbaceous peonies, because of price. I don't want to remove this tree peony or anything. But neither do I want to try to rehab their yard or anything. It's a bunch of college kids who wouldn't appreciate it, and I've got more than enough yard work in my own yard than I can handle (plus 4 young kids who couldn't accompany me to do any regular work over there.) I assume that because most tree peonies are grafted that I can't just ask to take a cutting of the plant in order to "save" it. The whole plant would have to be moved, rehabbed, or something like that, right?

As it is, I assume the peony will eventually die (as I've seen several other plants do there.) I just wanted to know if there was any easy way, like taking a cutting, that I could clone it, before that actually happens. The landlords don't speak fluent English, and I've only seen them once or twice, so I don't think there's a way that I'd feel comfortable even believing that I communicated adequately to ask for something like transplanting it or anything that dramatic. But I don't think the home has a chance of being owner-occupied for many years, if ever, and I think this lovely tree peony's days are numbered.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions