SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhearted

Building a structure for Climbing Hydrangea

Last Sunday my husband I spent a lovely, drizzly day walking around our local nursery and came home with two 5 gallon Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris which were a great price.

I have plans already for one, which is to cover the side of a chain link dog pen (about 8' x 15' sides) that I will attach lattice or some time of wood to so it can climb.

I wanted to put the other on the North side of my house as a vertical accent since there are no windows on that side. However, I am not sure how to do this since I know that this plant will (eventually, years later) become very big and heavy. I have vinyl siding so it would not climb that and even if it could, I'm not sure that I'd want it attached to my house.

I have been wanting to put an arbor with a single fence panel on each side of the arbor as an entryway to our backyard (something like this) so I thought perhaps this would make a good support for the climbing hydrangea. What do you think? My husband will build it using heavy duty timbers so I am not worried about the weight but more if I am making a pruning nightmare for myself in later years. How vigorous is this plant once established? I don't mind pruning once or twice a season...

Thanks for any guidance!

Comments (9)