SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

accidentally bought climbing hydrangeas-long

pieheart
16 years ago

My husband and I were looking for a climbing flowering plant and bought climbing hydrangeas. Little did we know what we had! After we brought them home and put them in the ground I checked this forum for some helpful info.

I had no idea they got so big, so full, so heavy! I was thinking maybe six or seven feet tall, something to pretty up the deck. We put them on either side of the stairs going down to the lawn. Next year we were going to put a patio in, so the stairs would lead into a patio, this wonderful plant eventually (3 or so years I guess) flowering on either side of the stairs.

Then I saw pictures of the climber. Fifty feet high! Oh no, this is not what I had in mind at all! So...........I have a ranch house, no chimney, so putting the climbing hydrangeas there is not an option. I really don't have appropriate trees for it to climb.

Now what? What can I do with these two plants? I still like them. Is there something I can buy/build to train them on? Any ideas/experiences/pictures of alternate locations? I feel like I bought the plant from Little Shop of Horrors!

Comments (4)