SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiejay

Undercabinet lighting: thoughts on alternative?

katiejay
9 years ago

We're in the process of building a new home. Met with the electrician yesterday and discussed undercabinet lighting. Our builder "only" uses Xenon lights that were surprisingly big, bulky, and with a large ribbed conduit (is that the word?) poked through the wall next to each unit for the wiring. Looked terrible, IMO.

Though I definitely want UC lighting....I just can't stomach the builder's option. I asked about alternatives - prewiring etc so we can choose our own. The only alternative they offered is to install two GFI outlets in the uppers, one at each end of the kitchen, and both on a switch. Then we could install LED or whatever later and fish the plugs up into the cabs to plug in.

Does this sound like a viable plan? The cost of the monster-Xenons would be about $1000. The cost of the outlets+switch will be about $225 total, leaving plenty for us to shop around and find our own lights. It seems like the way to go, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

ALSO - asked them about prewiring the 3 cans over the island for pendants. They said they can, for $50 per. However, I know there are "pendant conversion" kits out there. I wonder about those and if we'd be better off with the prewiring or DIY conversion down the road? Thoughts?

Comments (6)