SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimiest_okra

Sudden drop in water pressure

slimiest_okra
9 years ago

OK, this is an irrigation question but I decided to post it here because the irrigation forum looks pretty quiet.

I have a 2" PVC pipe buried below the frost line (5 feet) that goes from a cistern (with pump) to a headerhouse where there is a manifold and faucet (faucet #1). From here, another line also buried below 5 feet goes to a frost-free faucet in the garden (faucet #2).

Over the past week, I've noticed a rapid drop in pressure at faucet #2, but not at faucet #1. I figured there might be a leak in line #2, so I closed all faucets and monitored the pump. It never ran when the faucets were closed. So I ruled out a leak. That leaves open the possibility of a blockage or tree roots crushing the line. Since it occurred over just one week and the ground is still cold, I doubt that it could be roots. The manifold was taken off during the winter and it's possible that a mouse could've fallen inside, got pushed along through the line, and got caught at the bottom of faucet #2. That's the only possibility I can think of. What do you think is going on?

Comments (2)