SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

Gray or Greige?

designsaavy
9 years ago

I will admit.....I have a fear of color. So I know I cannot live with anything other than a neutral paint color on the wall. I'll add color with curtains, pillows, accessories, but it ain't gonna happen on my main living area walls.

I'm going to have white cabinetry in kitchen, darker hardwood floors and most likely gray soapstone that I may or may not oil/wax to make black. I'll more than likely wimp out and go with white subway tile...which I do love.

We will have this paint color for several years. So my dilemma is whether to commit to gray which is cooler or go slightly warmer with greige. I tire of color easily, and change out color schemes.

What would you pick? The entire back of the living area gets southern exposure sunshine, the front area has no windows. 13' pitched ceilings.

What's the perfect gray or greige with absolutely no undertones that I could change out my color scheme?

Pictures of your white kitchen and living areas would be really helpful.

Thanks!!! I hope I'm not boring y'all with another "gray-ish" topic.

Comments (56)

• Lily Spider
    9 years ago

I was going to try and post a few pics but it's gloomy and rainy here today so I don't think they will look good. I will take a few tomorrow if the sun shines :)

• kiwi_bird
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I swear by Revere Pewter, too. I'm sorry I don't have any photos. I'm renting now while we build, but we used RP in our last two homes, and it was great. I have a good friend who used it in her whole first floor, and she has white kitchen cabinets and dark wood floors. It looks terrific.

• Related Discussions

Is anyone painting their walls a color other than gray or greige?

Q

Comments (71)
    color on the walls never went away.. I feel it's about tastes and preferences of course, but geographic location first and foremost. every place on Earth has its own settings..its own light. so yes, the colors are chosen to work with the light that's there as you say adhiker..bright or soft..lighting up and shutting down as with the switch, or lingering.. I also think: every color is a color. White is. Gray is. So what if they're neutral. To me many browns and greens and blues are also neutrals of sorts.. Whatever your eye is used to see a lot is a neutral. People would think neutrals are less restrictive..true..but with so many shades and tints-you'll still choose one main direction for the rest of your things(warmer or cooler, brighter or muted), and add a bit of other colors. But you still will choose main direction. I love taupe, ivory, cream, off white..I have both taupe and greenish off white besides greige as I've said.. I also have shades of green and purple And they all work perfectly well together because they're a tad muted..they're soft, muted, and change with light but in a way that I like the changes And you can actually get away with many much brighter, saturated colors too..so many beautiful examples, whether it's New Orleans or India..:) or England or Russia you can have enfilades of rooms, or just rooms all painted or wallpapered differently yet it all perfectly works that's when you have this very-very open floor plan only, and certain style of a house, when you have to choose a color otherwise hard to pull off.. Also so much depends on the materials a house is built of..architectural style..etc that's why I actively dislike all this "timeless" blah blah. Timeless is beauty. Beauty is different. Forest is beautiful, and sea is, and jungles are, and mountains are, and deserts are. And the most timeless you can do is to go with what's there already, and create a dialogue between the place and you. I don't know why people think something is in vogue. True, something is, but there are literally hundreds of"vogues" going simultaneously It's like if all the people would dress the same but why on Earth should they, when everybody's different? I feel bad writing so much..:)
    ...See More

Grey or greige or beige or...????

Q

Comments (10)
    Wow! All of you are awesome! I like the coolness of a light, clean, grey with slight blue undertone. I love a lot of light. Our family room is 18’wide by 22’ long with 18’ ceilings. It has a wall of windows that are almost floor to ceiling. A fireplace that is being updated too. I want to use my slipcovered off-white sofas still. I have 5”wide maple flooring. Made. Massive mistake with my paint color 8 years ago. It looks like baby-poo, sort of a mustard color. Been living with the ugly since. I am really looking forward to choosing a beautiful paint color to remake my open family room, kitchen, area. I will be adding bright colors with pillows and decor. I have narrowed it down to a few Sherwin Williams colors. After my house is cleaned tomorrow I will post pics of the current ugly. Definitely will go with what makes me happy and not worry about what’s in or out. Thanks to each of you! Jeannine
    ...See More

is repose gray a greige?

Q

Comments (11)
    does it matter if it looks good on your house? a lot depends on the type of lighting your house gets. but all of those colors lean on the greige (griege) side. (isn't it I before e,,,,,?) this is a nice combo most of these 'grays' lean a little towards taupe. Griege is basically beige/gray, or a warm gray tone. the name is irrelevant. just get some samples and see what looks best on your exterior
    ...See More

please help! I’m looking for a gray “greige” exterior paint.

Q

Comments (8)
    The houses I’ve seen painted grey and white with the orange barrel roof don’t look “right” to my eyes. They are telling two different stories so I hope you get big samples of both house and trim colors to check this out before you decide. If your tired of the peach a cream with medium to dark brown trim would work with your roof and look more updated and fresh.
    ...See More
  • javiwa
    9 years ago

designsaavy - I'm in a similar pickle about picking the right "white" kitchen wall color to go with the right "white" cabinets. Whenever someone recommends a color, type that color into the Houzz search box at the top of the page and choose the in Photos option.

You'll get a good sampling in all different lighting and applications.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

... and then go out and buy samples of your 3 favorite colors along with some LARGE white foam core boards. Paint them. Then move them around your space to determine the optimum color for YOUR room. That's what we did last year when redoing our kitchen/first floor and we couldn't believe the difference in the color depending on where you placed the boards (and the time of day for that matter).

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone. I didn't even think about typing that in the Houzz search, so will definitely do that.

Would you all say that Revere Pewter leans more beige than gray?

What decorating color options would I have to go with it? Greens, blues, reds, oranges, black, gray?

The foam board is a great idea!!!

I know it'll be several months before our kitchen is done, but thought I'd show y'all what I bought at a salvage business to use instead of corbels/brackets for our range hood we are going to build. Not sure what color I'm going to paint them yet (possibly black or an oil rubbed bronze). They are cast iron, and about 22" long.

• Lily Spider
    9 years ago

The color you have on your wall looks like RP in the pic. Here is the green I painted my kitchen. I painted one wall in a small sitting room a yellow/green and did RP on the other walls. I like the way the RP looks with blacks and bronzes. Disclaimer- I don't love the sofa or the way it looks with the RP, but am keeping it due to running out of money :) so I had to opt for new paint, curtains and pillows.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"What would you pick?"

Purple. Be bold. It's only paint; go for it.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Trebuchet, no way!! Maybe a small bathroom, though, in a deep plum!

Thanks, Lily Spider. I don't know what the color is now on our walls, but somehow it looks to me to have a slight pink undertone that I hate. I don't think the pic above is representative of it. I do like gray more than beige, so I guess I'll have to narrow it down to 3 or 4 colors of gray or greige and paint the posters. I do love greens and blues (and am considering painting the island one of them), so whatever neutral paint I pick will need to go with it. Or I might wimp out again and just paint it.....gray.

• User
    9 years ago

Agree with Joseph Corlett: Kitchens are the best place to go bold because they have so little wall area, which is perfect for bold color.

Or…SW Amazing Gray.

• Lily Spider
    9 years ago

I always always always pick a paint with a pink undertone. It makes me nuts. That's why I got help with my colors this time around and no pink!! I think RP is more tan than gray. I really wanted an aqua island but my DH might have freaked out. ( I like SW Aqua duct) So if that is how you are leaning I would go true gray walls with a super cool island color. I might end up doing that in a few years when I eventually tire of this color scheme.

• baa85
    9 years ago

I used all SW paint but had them computer match to a chip of Revere Pewter for my powder room, it came out very close and I really like it. I think it leans more gray but is definitely warm. The perfect taupey-gray is what I always think when I look at it. I also had them eyeball a match to the BM color one lighter than RP on the color chip, called Edgecomb Gray. I used it in all of main living areas and recommend it all the time. It is a warm gray that leans more beige than RP but coordinates beautifully with it. I just had too many warm-toned furnishings to go with a truer gray. My first choice would've been SW Agreeable Gray or the more greige color Worldly Gray. Both warm grays. I'm also using SW Mindful Gray and one shade lighter, Repose Gray in my master and spare bedrooms. They're still warm but lean more gray than anything. Another beautiful but really light gray from SW is Pediment. Love that one too! Good luck, there are so many beautiful gray shades out there!

• devonfield
    9 years ago

I just had SW repose gray painted in our back hall, laundry and son's room and I love it! It is a great color!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you. I will definitely check out all the suggestions. If you all have pics, I'd love to see them.

• AnnKH
    9 years ago

I discovered Cambria's paint matching tool after we chose Cambria Somerset for our kitchen. We painted the kitchen Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory (a nice neutral tan, with not pink or gray), and BM Elephant Tusk for the ceiling. We liked it so much we painted the living rooms and hall the same colors.

Here is Putnam Ivory in our dining room, with natural light:

• sandmtn_gw
    9 years ago

I used Farrow & Ball Shaded White for walls and ceiling. My cabinet maker used a color match to the same for the perimeter cabinets and matched to F&B Downpipe on the island. I tried attaching a couple of photos but they came out upside down - I will try again later. I am still finishing up so not ready to do a reveal but will do one soon.

It sounds like Shaded White and Downpipe (or their match) would work for you since you are wanting gray or greige and green or blue on your island. That is if you don't mind the ever-changing look the ShWh has.

In shifting light, ShWh ranges from gray to beige and turning soft green or blue gray on rainy and wintery days. Walls were painted in February and looked soft gray. Cabinets were install first of March and looked green. But within 2 weeks I was seeing gray beige (greige?). More beigey in warm sunny daylight. I have attached a photo taken during the install and one after the weather turned.

In my view the island doesn't shift much, though when DH first saw the island he asked if the island was supposed to be charcoal gray.

I absolutely adore the colors and the combination. And I love the changes that occur with shifting light and humidity. Wouldn't change my color selection at all.

• LE
    9 years ago

My local Benjamin Moore store sells those jumbo paint chips (I can't recall, maybe 18 x 24"?) They even took back the ones that remained pristine because they were clearly not going to work. I ended up keeping a couple that I had banged up due to moving them around to different walls and bending them around corners. It was still easier and cheaper and faster than painting with the little sample jars, even on poster board!

• shappy22
    9 years ago

I just did Revere pewter at 50% for a new master bath. All I get it compliments on the color. Serene and soothing.

Amazing grey is too somber for me and much darker than RP. I painted my kitchen in amazing grey and immediately repainted it.

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

The Benjamin Moore website shows coordinating colors. So if you want a grey to go with blue, you could look around to see if they have a combination you like. Of course, others will work together, but if they have a combination you like that could save some hunting.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

What about SW Agreeable Gray? Any feedback? Or BM Edgecomb Gray?

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snappy, do you have any pics of your bath? Would love to see revere pewter at 50%.

I've gone to a local store twice that carries Benjamin Moore and both times they've been out of the color swatches for several gray colors. Who knew?!!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, I just realized my phone auto corrected and put Snappy!

Sorry about that Shappy.

• Liz
    9 years ago

our kitchen walls are BM edgecomb grey, and the cabinets are btwn SW repose grey and SW mindful grey (they are in conestoga's hearthstone grey; color matches are accdg to Cabinet Joint).

The Edgecomb Gray is MUCH lighter than the cabinets, but dark enough to have a nice, solid contrast with our white trim. (BM Simply White) IMO it reads more as beige than grey. It looks great with our greenish-blueish-greyish backsplash, and our gray-green driftwood style buffet table.

• alley2007
    9 years ago

BM Revere Pewter has green undertones. It looks tan, greige, gray (or green) depending on the room it is in.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Here is SW Agreeable Gray on the stub wall to the left of the pantry and SW Collonade Gray on the other walls. Oh yes, and love the SW Exquisite Plum accent wall!

• amh615
    9 years ago

BM Shendndoah Taupe. I can relate to your fear of color.

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

it's interesting to me that crl_ wrote that the grey/greige trend may have peaked. I've been wondering about this very thing and what the next trend will be.

I recently read that revere pewter is the present version of "builder beige" for spec houses. I like revere pewter and it's popular for a reason, I guess. To my eye it has a green undertone.

In our new house, I'm leaning toward BM Simply White. I painted our last home's living room four times in about seven years; Latte, Powell Buff, Rice Grain and Muslin. I drove myself crazy looking for the perfect neutral. I'm going to see if the perfect neutral for me is a popular off-white.

• alley2007
    9 years ago
    BM Manchester Tan is a great neutral in my opinion.
  • juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I would suggest painting the actual sample colors on your wall to see the undertones and how they look at different times of the day. Revere Pewter and Edgecomb Grey looked good on the sample boards in my south facing guest room but when I actually painted them on the primed wall both had definite pink/mauve undertones showing from morning through the afternoon. They looked nothing like the rooms I had seen online.

Unfortunately, I had already bought the gallons of paint based on the sample boards but at least I realized before painting the entire room. I have SW Believable Buff in the hallway outside the room and this nuetral color with yellow/green undertones really clashed with the pink.

I ended up with BM Quiet Moments for the guest room and Palladian Blue for DD's room (also south facing). Both look very pretty and don't clash with the Believable Buff. I still need to find a color for DH's' west facing office off the same hallway though. Wanted a warm gray but it can't have pink undertones like EG and RP.

• User
    9 years ago

That Shenandoah Taupe is gorgeous. Kitchens have so much starkness going on with the appliances and such, a little depth of color is a good idea, IMO.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that everyone can look at the same color and see something different. I've had others remark that the builder color we have on our walls now looks taupe or beige, where I see pink coming through.

I'll probably go pick out some sample paints this week and paint the sample boards to move around to different areas.

One thing I didn't mention: our atrium ranch open staircase window wall continues into the family room downstairs. So I have to paint it all the same color!!

• happyx5
    9 years ago

Look at BM Pale Oak and BM Seapearl (they're on the same strip). They are similar to Revere Pewter, but softer.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Any paint manufacturer has on its website suggestions for coordinating colors, a good way to see what the color you are considering might look like with other colors you are attracted to. I think working from other colors that you are attracted too is a good way to narrow down your neutrals.

Also, when you are considering colors, don't just have sample boards, have swatches of your other colors (upholstery, accents, etc) to place with, to see if they work together. Say you have a blue couch now, but you are also attracted to sage green and mustard yellow so you might use those colors in the future. Have paint chips of those accent colors.

Don't stress over that too much though, if you decide to change to a color that doesn't work with the wall paint you choose, repainting isn't really that awful.

I wanted to avoid certain undertones too. I went through piles of chips, looking at them outside in bright shade worked the best to see the undertones for me as well as placing them on something pure white (like typing paper).

In my LR I thought that the pale yellow paint revealed a pink undertone -- but it was the red chair somehow reflecting off the walls -- removed that, no more pink!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two years ago we selected the fabric for a new couch and two comfy chairs. I got a warm off white for the couch, and was going to do something neutral for the chairs, but allowed myself to be persuaded to go with color from a swatch sample. From the moment they delivered those chairs I've hated them. Should have gone with my gut. Some day I'll have the money to reupholster them, but for now.....at least they're comfortable.

I do have a swatch of the couch material, so I can take that along with the Dover White sample of the kitchen cabinets on order.

• sreedesq
    9 years ago

BM Baby Fawn was the winning griege for me in my master bedroom. I'm very happy with it.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The winning paint color is:

Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter (but we color matched and used Sherwin Williams' Duration in Matte.

Love the color. I asked DH what he thought. His first words: it looks the same.

Look at the second pic at the bottom where the base molding was and you can see the color difference. The other "beige" definitely was pink.

On to a new problem. The mantel and stair railing.

You can see the dark color of the hardwood lying on floor in front of fireplace.

My first thought was white for the mantel cause I want a bright space. DH thinks color of floor or very dark gray like a couple of the bricks.

The stair railing is all that ugly orange like the mantel. So, that will have to tie in as well. I was thinking dark like floor on the base, handrail, and newel posts and white on the skinny balusters.

What say y'all?

Last pic shows railing, carpet and former wall color before demo.

Also thinking of lightening up the brick a little with a very thin whitewash, but I'm so afraid of ruining fireplace.

Thanks for all the great advice. This Revere Pewter is a nice balance between cool and warm.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Just throwing an idea out there, although I know many people believe brick should not be painted. We painted our brick (really ugly brick) Revere Pewter, the walls BM LaPaloma Grey and the mantle white to match the kitchen cabinets & trim. Our kitchen, breakfast area & family room are one big room. It turned out quite well. I had originally wished we could have removed the hearth & refaced the fireplace but we'd maxed out the reno budget.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW!! it looks like it's right out of a magazine!! Love all the windows and fireplace looks really nice.

I'm sure some would say our brick is ugly as well. It's not the IN thing to have. While I'm not in love with it, I know there's no going back once it's painted.

I was thinking whitewash sorta like this pic, but I'm not sure if doing this is just going to make it pink instead of red.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I painted the red z-brick in a house with watered down white paint applied with a sponge. I loved it as the texture of the brick and mortar showed through. Most people thought it was originally that color.

My final was very much like that photo but with a bit less of the red showing through. It didn't read pink.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Just regular old Revere Pewter paint. The contrast with the darker walls & white mantle is what makes it work (IMO). You could try whitewashing & if you didn't like it, do the opposite of what I did - paint the brick a darker color. LaPaloma Grey looks great with the Revere Pewter but I'm sure lots of colors would work.

Edit: even before the furniture & drapes were in, I liked it. We had the brick faux painted 20 years ago (the brick was ugly 20 years ago) & I was very skeptical about how it would look in a flat color versus faux. I'll see if I can find an old pic.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

I like the brick. Could you keep the brick and paint the mantel or gel stain it a really dark brown or black? I like the contrast of RP with dark Browns and blacks.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

On the left front side of the mantel you can see where I tried General Finishes Java Gel Stain. I sanded it lightly, applied the gel and wiped off. You can see lots of little chicken scratch marks that held the stain. I don't know what kind of wood it's made from, but my guess is not a quality wood. Here's a close-up of the small section of handrail I tried it on as well.

I don't know anything about staining, but my guess is I'm going to have to strip and sand to bare wood 96 balusters and 9 newel posts, etc.

Ugh.

I do think a dark color would look good on the mantel with the red brick, but it's not really the look I'm going for. I really wanted a complete white mantel and surround, but I don't think it's gonna look right with the surround the way the brick fireplace looks (Not much space on each side/thick hearth).

I do appreciate all your suggestions and I know I originally started this thread cause the wall color is in my kitchen and this is the kitchen forum. I tried posting in remodeling forum about fireplace/stairs, but didn't get any responses.

I will definitely take all your suggestions to heart as we finish up our kitchen and move into the living area to remodel.

Any pics you find that would be helpful will be much appreciated.

On another note, my Barker Cabinets have shipped!!

• motherwallace
    8 years ago

It looks like you have a lot of natural light so I'd go with your DH's suggestion and paint it a dark gray but be thoughtful in your selection. While there are a lot of grays that go "flat" or "dead" there are just as many that have depth and some "life". Also, I recommend getting samples in the finish you plan to use - matte, satin, semi-gloss, etc.. It makes a big difference in how the color will look in your space. (I didn't do that) I followed all the suggestions and bought sample pots of all the colors I was contemplating, painted them on poster boards (two coats each) and looked at them in the rooms at various times of day and night. Well…what I didn't take into account is how sheen affects the color. It lightens it. Also, the color can seem to change on different planes - from wall to ceiling. As for the stairs - I think you're on the right path. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you decide!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much. I know just what you mean about color changing. We have a pitched ceiling and one side always appears darker than the other because there are no windows on that side. Likewise the walls on that side.

• HerrProfessorDoktor
    8 years ago

SW Silverpointe

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We went with Revere Pewter. It does read more beige to me than gray, but I think it's a nice neutral with no ugly undertones and can go warm or cool.

• romy718
    8 years ago

Designsavvy - when you get ready to tackle your staircase, start a new post. There are quite a few experts on the Kitchen Forum regarding stripping & refinishing wood. Also, cross post on the Home Decorating Forum.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, thanks Romy. Might be a bit now cause our Barker Cabinets are being delivered on Tuesday, so we'll probably be busy a little at a time after work just getting that organized and put together.

Now just gotta find a good website to go to for cabinet installation instructions, tips, etc.

Thanks for the tip!!

• romy718
    8 years ago

Probably not relevant any longer but I did say i'd post a pic of our fireplace when it was faux painted. This was done about 18 years ago & was just recently repainted in Revere Pewter.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Gosh Romy, that wasn't too shabby! I do like the Revere Pewter color better, though.