SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wormgirl

Short season/cool climate growers: ever done this?

wormgirl_8a_WA
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm near Seattle. I was visiting my Dad last weekend (he lives closer to Portland) and we visited a lovely small farm selling plants and they specialized in heirlooms and peppers. The owner had some interesting tomato growing accessories. One was a huge SWC with integrated tomato cage, and he threw in a Kozy Koat (red Wall of Water) to boot. I wish I could show you a picture, but didn't think to take one. He had the whole cage wrapped in several layers of plastic to make a mini-greenhouse, which struck me as ingenious.

He also had some extremely sturdy tomato cages for in-ground growing, and here's a picture of one wrapped up similarly. There's a Kozy Koat inside this cage as well, he's got a drip line hooked up, and there's plastic mulch to warm the soil.

http://millenniumfarms.bizland.com/id10.html

It's a Sungold in the picture. He says he set it out mid-March and it went from 6 inches to 6 feet in 7 weeks.

In our area, the conventional wisdom is not to set out plants till May 15 - June 1... keep them in a cold frame till then, or just wait to buy your starts/time your seed starting. But it's hard to get any long season tomatoes to ripen this way. I'm really intrigued by this type of setup and wonder if anyone has tried something similar? I have no room for a tunnel or hoophouse, and grow mostly in containers.

I wish I'd bought some of the containers and set them out last weekend - especially for the long season heirlooms I couldn't help buying! Although, SWCs are a totally new thing for me. I might not use the self watering feature - I could probably disable it and set it on the ground for wicking if I wanted. But then again I might really like that feature in July and August.

In a way I guess this is similar to the "Walls of Air" Seysonn has made.

Thoughts?

Comments (100)