SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_terrilynn

What's hip in eyeglass land?

just_terrilynn
9 years ago

Well my off the shelf eyeglass days are over. I need real glasses. I'm also looking to get contacts. I couldn't get the last ones in in under twenty minutes. Are some easier than others? What's "cool" for eyeglasses these days? I'm not afraid to be a little out there on a style but am in my fifties sooo? I realize one can only be vague with not seeing me in person but...when you don't look good in glasses what to do? I'm not up on this.

Comments (57)

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

I LOVE cateye glasses-- my current pair (which are way overdue to be replaced) and a modified cateye in purple. Personally, I like something that is a little different. i went to a boutique optician-- here, you don't go through the walls of frames, they bring frames to you based on the size, shape of your face and your coloring. I found them VERY helpful .. and the process was so much less stressful.

Love the ones you chose-- though it's hard to tell how big they are.

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • User
    9 years ago

Some people look good in glasses and some do not, regardless of the style. However, one very I portent thing to remember about glasses is to get ones that are higher /cover your eyebrows. That makes a big difference for most people in how they look.

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Rose Hips

Q

Comments (43)
    They are related to apples, Kippy. If they're coloring nicely, like other fruit, they are likely "ripe". Go pick them before the gardener or some marauding rodent finds them! Cut them open with a knife or your clippers, pry out the seeds and either plant them, or clean them as well as you can to remove the pulp and fibers before storing them in the vegetable crisper until the weather cools (around Thanksgiving here, USUALLY, Lord only knows this year...) and you can plant them when the temps are more suitable for germination. Word of warning...the fibers inside the hip are as bad as fiberglass. Don't get it on you. I guaranty your eyes and nose are going to itch like mad once you have them on your fingers so you'll be tempted to scratch them. DON'T! It's the same as getting your hands wet in the kitchen and having to use 'the facilities'. The fibers wash off your hands easily with soap and water, but they are miserable once gotten on you elsewhere. Been there too many times! Kim
    ...See More

Hipped Roof/ Front Porch Overhang Challenges

Q

Comments (9)
    @decoenthusiasteThanks for posting it again. Our challenge are the previaling setback rules. I;m not sure we can legally add a solid overhang of any sort. Lots of houses in our neighborhood have that kind of cover, but they don't jut out beyonf the prevailing setback. I'm to get some answers from the local DBS.
    ...See More

Show me your eyeglasses!

Q

Comments (56)
    Another vote for Warby Parker, my husband loves them. He wears his glasses all day every day, and his first pair held up great for over two years (they're still good but he just got bored). He's well into his second pair now with no problems. This is a guy who used to only buy expensive frames. If there are fitting issues and you don't have a WP store in your town, you can get your optometrist to shape them. They can also help you measure the distance of your pupils-- essential to center your Rx in the lenses. I don't think those virtual try-on services are accurate enough. They'll help you narrow it down, but it's not a replacement for trying on IRL. With at home try-on services you can view yourself in different lighting situations and take a long time thinking about it. There are other brands doing this now, but I have yet to try them. (My favorite was Fetch, but sadly they closed.)
    ...See More

Are these Rose hips ready or ruined?

Q

Comments (17)
    I usually wait until they're red or orange but there are certain varieties that never turn red or orange. I'm thinking Madame Lombard. I grow roses from seed every year. Once the hip is ripe I remove the seeds, put them between damp paper towel, and enclose in a plastic bag with a label. I put all the little bags into a larger zip lock bag and keep that in my fridge until some time in January. I don't like to collect the hips too early because I suspect that if they are refrigerated too long they might not germinate as well. If you wait too late to harvest the hips the seeds are more likely to be black. I am not sure if that matters. I collect the hips from late Sept. to November usually. By January some of the seeds are already sprouting in the paper towels. I just remove those carefully and plant them in flats. Other seeds will sprout once they are in the soil and the temperature is warmer than the fridge. Maybe you could plant them sooner than January but I do it in Jan. because I'm busy with Christmas. I grow them indoors under lights until spring. I got a strong seedling from Teasing Georgia several years ago. It bloomed for the first time this year. I was thinking maybe it's a climber because it wanted to grow first, and bloom later. It reminds me a bit of Jude the Obscure. It seems to be healthy. Some roses may not put out hips for a long time then surprise you with a hip or more. Sometimes I'll plant a particular variety for years with no luck and then all of a sudden one will sprout. I am not a rose breeder...just a grower of open pollinated rose seeds. Timber's Rose Sometimes you get colors you weren't expecting. A seedling of Midnight Blue Land of the Free
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    9 years ago

I wear contacts MOST of the time, so I tend to be slightly adventurous when buying glasses (since I don't wear them a whole lot). These are the pair I've had for a few years now. I thought I was so wild to get green.

Everyone loves them -- I get a lot of compliments. But I'm ready for a new pair -- just ready for a change. I have no idea what I'll get next!

just_terrilynn thanked Sueb20
  • suero
    9 years ago

Last time I tried on eyeglasses, a fellow snapped selfies with each pair he tried on. Then, with his actual glasses on, looked at the selfies to pick the best style.
    A great idea.
    What I did was to take DH along for his opinion.

just_terrilynn thanked suero
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue, my husband would want it all over as fast as possible and would not be of a reliable opinion . I like that a lot of people do not hold back here.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I like #4. But I'm unreliable since I'm a contact lens wearer who only updates her backup glasses about every 10 years (and so far has been lucky to never need her backup glasses outside of her bedroom) so I don't really know what's currently stylish.

Whatever that lighter colored part in #2 and #3 is, it looks me like its pointing down, like a frown, and I don't like it. Irrational perhaps but it's how it strikes me in the pix. It probably looks better in person.

Talking a selfie is a clever idea. It is hard to pick out frames when you can't see!

There used to be an optometrist or optican (happilady maybe?) that hung around GW a bit. Maybe she's still around and can offer you advice.

just_terrilynn thanked hhireno
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes on the rule out of #2 and #3 Hhireno and #6 for sure I think. I bought contacts a few years ago to wear in one eye so that I could see far and near. I had no problem adjusting to that. The problem was getting the darn thing in, it took forever. Are some contacts easier to get in? I'm thinking I need a pair of glasses to read with at night. One pair with prescription on one side only to wear to grocery store to avoid running into people, that gives me some near and far sight. And I would like contacts to wear in one eye if going out for the evening...to look better and have some near and far sight.

• User
    9 years ago

I just bought new glasses, and they are a matte black acetate (plastic). I bought Prodesign, made in Denmark. They have so many styles that you should be able to find something you love. So many frames are made in China now--my last pair spontaneously broke after two years. The frame around the lens just popped!

I like plastic frames in a neutral color without any frou-frou. Rhinestones, open framework, no thank you! I am not my grandmother. My face is slightly round (my Dutch genes) so only a few styles look good on me.

just_terrilynn thanked User
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Go to an ophthalmologists office that has an eye wear shop, here at least, they carry the latest brands and styles that I don't see at discount places. For a reason I can't thoroughly explain, Kate Spade glasses have been my favorites for a few years. Maybe because they have a slightly preppy, updated traditional look that I favor.

I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses last week in KS and a pair of KS regular glasses.

just_terrilynn thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Funkyart
    9 years ago

I like 1 and 4..

just_terrilynn thanked Funkyart
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

I like number 5. I think the more rectangular shape broadens your face whereas some of the others seem to point to your cheeks. It also appears that you have larger face and I think those need a larger pair of glasses.

What is your prescription? I ask this because mine is bad and it severely limits the frames that I can get. Well, that I can get and still look decent.

just_terrilynn thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • jlc712
    9 years ago

4 or 5. Maybe go try some on in person and take pics and post them?

just_terrilynn thanked jlc712
  • voila
    9 years ago

http://cdna.allaboutvision.com/i/eyeglasses/bobbi-brown-maureen-200x269.jpg I agree with kswl on wearing higher framed glasses to cover eye brows. These are from olychick's post above.http://cdna.allaboutvision.com/i/eyeglasses-2014/ken-zp-loretta-270x250.jpg edited to fix broken link

just_terrilynn thanked voila
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Voila and Kswl about the eyebrow thing and it's something I would never have thought of without this post. It is hard to tell in my above pictures if any of those would do that in real life. At least I'm sort of knowing what I don't like. I wouldn't mind something like #2 or #3 without the downward sweep of metal. Sort of like these, I made them come up to the brow.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

I just ordered some new prescription reading glasses about a week ago. My last 2 pair have been Kate Spades and look a lot like your #5. My face is also a little longish and I have a high forehead. My new ones aren't in yet, bit I went with something different this time. They are Tom Ford, red, and bigger. Everything I saw in the optometrist dispensary was tending to larger frames than a couple of years ago. Mine are a bit more like the Zac Posens in the link but a slightly different shape. The tech where I get mine is really good at helping with styles for people.

just_terrilynn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, Outsideplaying there is lots to like in your suggestions. Everyone COMPLETLY WIPE ALL UGLY PICTURES ABOVE OUT OF YOUR MIND. I'm starting over. I was just not being hip enough but I didn't know till now.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

We have a local optometrist whose staff is amazing with helping you find the right frame. They have a gizmo where you try on frames, they snap a pix and put 4 at a time on the screen for you to see.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Yes, definitely larger frames. Think 80's but not quite as big. I also wear contacts and usually only wear my glasses at home. I have a nice pair of brown tortoise-y Prada frames that I've had for a few years. My optician in my hometown was the best with recommending frames for me. I have Kate Spade for my Rx sunglasses which I don't use that much.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Coach makes some cute eyeglasses. My friend has a green tortoise pair that I love.

I had Lasik several years ago, and there are such cute glasses now that sometimes I want to get a pair! I never thought I'd say that :-)

• User
    9 years ago

My eyes are so bad (tri-focals) that I have to take selfies so I can then look at them with my old glasses on. I got new ones in December after falling on my face ruining my glasses. Luckily I had an old pair of readers to wear to help me chose, but that didn't help much and I'm not too happy with these.
    I recommend you take your time choosing. I'd get some real pictures of your self in lenses at a local optical and share them here. These virtuals help (I like #5) but I'd take a new picture to use if you do plan on buying them online.

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

Okay, if you are open to more hip, I highly recommend L.A. Eyewear. I have had more currently glasses for over 10 years (ridiculous, I know) and I have had no issues. I DO wear my glasses all day, every day and most other glasses I've owned have developed issues. Stem screws fall out, lenses fall out, stems bend. They do look a bit "out there" but make sure to click through and see the colors. Most come in a wide range of colors -- not all are bright yellow or orange. I love their tortoise shell and as I said above, my current glasses are purple. I do like colors-- LOVE Sue's green.. also love red glasses (though I NEVER wear red). Purple works great for me because they make my hazel eyes lean green.

I got mine at the boutique optician-- a friend on the west coast bought multiple pairs on ebay (seriously). I would try to find someone local who has them in store. You will likely be surprised-- I'd have NEVER picked up a pair of purple cateye glasses on my own!

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

For fun sunglasses I bought black catseye glasses with a lime green edge.
    For dress, I wear Coach tortoise shell glasses. More young people ask me where I got my glasses, the catseye.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I got my first pair of glasses as a junior in HS. I wore my contacts 99% of the time. Back then glasses were not a fashion statement. I guess old dogs don't like new tricks because I continue to shop with that idea in my head. When I hit the time of life where I did not have time or money for contacts I continued to shop for glasses that blended away into my face. When I go out into the world I do not care to have anyone SEE my glasses. I prefer them to SEE me. Accessories should enhance not take center stage IMHO. Larger lenses are easier to see with--so functionally if you are wearing glasses why wouldn't you go with that--is my take on size. Color--again I go for a color that blends into my freckles and hair color not STICK OUT. No one ever notices when I get new frames so my personal prescription for glasses must be working the way I want it to.
    If they are something you only wear at home than possibly there is no reason to not go FUN, and ignore my prescription.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Jterrilynn, my optomotrist will do the same thing as maggie's...take photos of you with your glasses and display all or 1-2 side-by-side with your choices. That's the way to go. Just spend some time trying them on and have the tech's help you decide.

I only wear mine for reading so it's not like an all-day thing, so I figure I can go a little wilder with color and size. I'm usually pretty conservative and my last KS's were tortoise with colored linings (1 blue and 1 lime green), nothing special. I also have a very narrow bridge and do not like anything but an integrated plastic bridge piece. No metal with plastic, because those get caught in your hair when you shove your glasses up on your head.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

red polka dot frames

My 32 year old DD has these - she is a teacher and only needs them when driving and in the classroom - not for reading. Aren't they fun!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I am for certain going to a place that has the L.A frames to try on. There are many that I like such as the Garza, Hornet, Denari, Pigeon and more. I woke this morning thinking that by the time I spend money on all that I want I could maybe just get Lasik in one eye? Don't know anything about it though. I can see far but not close. When I could manage to get one contact in it worked well for me on seeing near and far. I had no problem at all adjusting to that. In fact it was all very automatic. However, I would most likely still need glasses to read? I guess I need to make some appointments today.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I still see alot of the smaller (almost reading glass look if you know what I mean) on people. I only wear glasses when 1) driving at night and 2) at a movie (and we don't go to movies LOL) or something like that. In other words, I rarely wear glasses. Therefore I do not update my glasses often. I can't even remember when I had them on last. Anyhoo, one thing about sunglasses - remember you want them large enough that they cover all around your eyes (for wrinkle protection) and make sure they cover well from the sides too. My dad has a degenerative eye disease and his eye doctor stresses the side coverage. It's not just about the looks - with sunglasses you are also protecting your eyes. My dad was also told he might never have developed the degenerative disease IF HE HAD WORN SUNGLASSES! He used to hate them! Thankfully, his disease was caught early, he uses the eye vitamins and sunglasses now and his disease is not progressing. His eye doctor suggested my sis and I start with the eye vitamins.

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

Oh Terriynn. glad you found designs that you like at LA Eyeworks! I have been superpleased with mine and I am hoping to get another pair-- and if the unusual frames weren't enough, I loved the case too! LOL

I used to be in the "i want my glasses to disappear into my face" camp too. I have worn glasses since I was 4. Can't wear contact lenses. It was the last boutique that really turned me around-- they said why pay attention to every other element of your style and then wimp out with the glasses? It made sense. I balked at purple-- i mean, i don't even wear purple-- but it has really become a neutral for me. It just works.

The other thing I love is that I have no problem with their metals-- my current glasses are titanium (yes, purple titanium!) and I see most, if not all, of their current metal frames are stainless steel.

Hope you find a pair you love!

• ajuju
    9 years ago

If your face is narrow, do give the Kate Spade glasses a try. They come in great colors, and are just made less wide than many of the others!

• User
    9 years ago

Oops, the cover your eyebrows advice I gave above was for dark glasses! Sorry, was not thinking prescription despite all,your photos!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not a problem Kswl, the main consensus by all was to go
    larger.

Today I made an appointment at an Eye Institute to see what
    my options are as far as intraocular lens, Laskik or Laser or if there is
    something else I do not know about for correcting far sightedness in one eye.
    Probably not in my budget but the two hour appointment is free with the
    prescription part only $20. In the meantime I have been checking to see if any
    nicer eyeglass shops near have Kate Spade, L.A and Ford ect. Kate Spade and L.A
    is not mentioned in any of the local’s lists of products on line. That is not
    to say those brands aren’t there though. I have five nicer shops within five
    minutes of my home that have very expensive glass frames but it is fairly conservative
    around here so I may have to head south.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: I am a 2.5 out of 5 in the cataract department in both eyes. I am officially OLD... sheesh! So, need to have them removed.

• voila
    8 years ago

Wow! So glad you found a good doctor. By the way, I tried the one contact for distance (right eye) and no contact for left eye which had perfect near vision. While driving I-95 I found that I could not see in my rear-view mirror. I nixed that idea. Since you are far sighted now I would just get reading glasses. Do your cataracts impair your near vision? Perhaps you do not need reading glasses at all? This could be a good thing. Best of luck with your cataract surgery. I understand it is easy and very successful.

• deegw
    8 years ago

My college age daughter says the cool kids buy their glasses from Warby Parker. I would check out their website and look for similar styles at your local eyeglass store.

https://www.warbyparker.com/

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the link Dee! Hi Voila, I was going to get a lens put in my right eye to see near and have both cataracts Taken off. My dominant eye is on the left so although it was suggested that one get corrected as well I want to see how much my far sight is improved after the cataract removal. I had always been able to see well at a distance before I got old women eyes.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Glad you found a good doctor. Sheesh! My eye doc gave me the cataract news too! Had a 3 in one eye and a 2 (barely) in the other. She told me it wasn't an emergency that I do the surgery just yet, and in fact could probably even wait another year. I had noticed sometimes I had what appeared to be a filmy look in that eye but just thought my eyes were tired as it would go away at times. Who knew? Apparently insurance here only covers it if it's a 3 or more, and I've decided to wait until winter, maybe after Christmas to have this one done. Then if the other is worse next year at my exam I'll do that one.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Outside, Thanks for sharing the 3 and insurance coverage. I'm waiting to hear back on if I'm covered. I now have a new insurance that bites compared to my old one. My husbands place of employment changed insurance companies due to a $200,000 a year increase after Obama care. I could wait until I am a 3 but driving at night is a problem as I feel completely blinded by headlights.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

You are in FL right? I now have Medicare which is primary but still kept my BCBS fed retiree up, so it is secondary and is considered our Part D for now but it picks up anything Medicare doesn't cover. Then DH has his Tricare for Life which comes in third. So I'll be covered for sure. With all the Obama Care changes, I don't know what happens.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes I'm in Florida. I also just had a bunch of expensive dental work done on one side. I'm just costing way too much money!!! Hope I don't continue down this high maintenance road. Sounds like you are well prepared.

• Boopadaboo
    8 years ago

Thanks, thanks a lot. :0 now I want these glasses!n (APologies - I have no idea how to post pictures now!)

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Lenscrafters/8053672242348_shad_qt?$jpegdefault$&wid=680

• User
    8 years ago

Costco's optical department gets good reviews. Some say the savings is huge. I'm considering joining just for new glasses!

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Boo those are so cute ! I met a woman at my local Tiki bar/restaurant who owns a beauty supply store. She as well as the gal who used to cut my hair suggested I go red/brown on my hair color. So, my new friend hooked me up with a special blend and she is also giving me a new cut (she is licensed) . I love her hair. My old hair stylist needs a stylist. The glasses you posted would be fun casual day glasses for my new look. Car, my husband goes to Costco for his glasses and now has some very nice frames. I'll have to look again because I didn't see any I loved for myself. However, that was over a year ago.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

glasses big enough to cover one's eyebrows? I don't think I've ever had those--I think they'd look huge on my face.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, not sure I could pull it off. Look at the HUGE ones in the article below for 2015 trends I just found. I'm still not sure what I am doing about my eyes yet. Still playing phone tag on if my insurance is paying for the cataract removal.http://thefashiontag.com/2014/11/26/designer-sunglasses-ditto-eyewear/

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I love sunglasses, but I find that is such a different look since they are opaque. I am willing to go a bit wild w sunglasses, but with regular glasses, anything avant garde felt odd.

I recently got my first ever pair of prescription glasses (for driving at night in the rain!) and I ended up with these that i got from Neiman Marcus.

I do hear that a lot of people like Warby Parker.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

sorry; didn't real all the posts to the the "cover your eyebrows" was for sunglasses. nevermind.

• just_terrilynn
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh Mtn I love that tasteful bit of bling on the sides. Nice!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Thx, I like them, but of course they are not "hip" at all! I could not keep a straight face in the hip ones. But then you are an artist and I am in finance, so you can do "hip". Can't wait to see what you choose. I had so much fun, I wanted to buy lots of pairs. Glasses can be so flattering.

just_terrilynn thanked MtnRdRedux
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Oh and, BTW, there was an article in the NYT today about Hillary's hip quotient, and in the article Warby Parker, which i suggested above, was mentioned as hip.

So,there you go.

Mtn (not hip but can recognize hip when she sees it)

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

I see that Warby Parker will ship you 5 frames to try on at home if there is not a store near you. I do like their styles, and they don't seem to be incredibly expensive. I mostly wear my frames at home, so buying a new fancy pair seems like a waste. I've had these Prada frames for a few years now. I still get a lot of compliments on them when I wear them even if they are not the latest trend. I am lucky I have a good fit with multifocal contacts. I asked my eye doctor last exam in March about cataracts, and luckily I am good for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prada-Orange-Brown-Rectangular-Eye-Glasses-Model-VPR-03H-51-16-7BP-101-135-/161709278233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a69fc419