SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengeek63

Little Gem magnolia seedling question

Skyway Gardens
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a Little Gem magnolia seedling (volunteer seedling) that's 4-5 years old and is starting to bloom. It's a nice looking little tree, standing about 5 feet tall with nice branching in a pyramidal form.

My question is, how can I tell if it reverted back to the parent? I don't have the space for a Grandiflora in my small yard. Everything I've read said that the seedlings usually revert back to the parent, but I also read that Little Gems start blooming earlier so I'm hoping that's a good sign. The blooms haven't opened yet, should in a couple of days, so I don't have a measurement on them yet. Based on the bud size, they don't look they they're going to be very large. The leaves are on the med-small side, are a medium light green, and have a light dusting of brown on their undersides.

Anyone know of any definitive ways of telling if it reverted back and will be a southern giant? I'd rather not wait another 5 years to find out :-)

By the way, how can Houzz say that my old user name is being used by someone else, but yet it's connected to my 'new' profile?

Thanks for your time,

Annette

Comments (44)