SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattpf

Apricot tree damaged by rabbit 90% bark removed can it be saved?

mattpf (zone4)
9 years ago

So I have a pretty nice apricot tree that was about 12' tall must have sat in a pot in a nursery for many years I planted 2 years ago it's going to flower like crazy this year we don't always get fruits here because the cold and a damb rabbit chewed 90% of the bark off .i wrapped it yesterday after I cleaned it up but noticed the wood is cracked and dried out real bad .

The trees buds are starting to swell and the flowers pop but the thing is the tree is probably ten years old but small maybe 1.5" thick so there really isn't much left maybe 1/2" strip of bark left up one side . It's to early to to a bridge graft and the scion I would need to use would be 24" and the rabbit didn't leave me with much to work with on the stock .

My question is if I leave it as is I cleaned the wounds up with copper spray and wrapped with parafilm than plastic will it recover? .

And I could only have enough scion wood from another tree that had that much growth last year that is still dormant on my property as everything else opened up already . I could use italian plum wood or another westcot apricot . I was really hoping to get a lot if fruit on this tree as it has tons of flowers I did prune it real heavy to help aid it .

Comments (5)