SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Does this damage doom my new cherry trees? (4 smallish pics)

aliska12000
15 years ago

Don't post here very often and don't know enough about trees to be any help to others. Sure would appreciate some advice about this. Montmorency trees, not pleased with the shape, shouldn't have bought them on impulse, thinking of replacing next year from a good nursery and going back to North Star which served me well, didn't have Jap Beetles B4 they died, they came here around that time.

Now I'm not sure which tree is which in the photos, but it appears something is very wrong. One could have been clipped with the lawn mower, but not all of it. Bark damage, deformity, bleeding sap, what could cause it?

I faithfully cleaned them off every day from Jap Beetles, leaf damage not bad at all from them, think this is something else. Looks like either a disease or some critter perhaps, at night, haven't seen any rabbits in my neighborhood this year but they do nibble at night, never saw a deer but they are close. Coons at night sometimes.

Don't usually crop like this, but wanted to show in clearest detail possible w/o going 100% which is way too large, even a small section.

Do you think they can recover or should I just cut my losses and get some new ones going unless it's something in the soil. Offset them and about 3-4 years before I replanted after the second one of last pair died.

{{gwi:82275}}

{{gwi:82276}}

{{gwi:123010}}

{{gwi:123011}}

Comments (9)