SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parisienne85

Help! Hydrangea suffering from major transplant stress!

parisienne85
9 years ago

I recently had to transplant a hydrangea from a container to a large pot in the courtyard of our building. There really was no other option but transplant now since the old containers had to be disposed of ASAP (they contained asbestos). I ended up putting it in a large pot at the foot of a camellia (which isn't looking so great itself, but that's a post for another section).

The transplant happened this Sunday and unfortunately the roots suffered quite a bit despite our best efforts to keep them as intact as possible (the plant was left neglected for years in huge container and had sent roots all over the place). After planting I watered well and monitored the humidity in the soil over the next days. I noticed the next day it was already starting to droop. Today (Thursday) it's in a very sorry state, as you'll see in the photos.I held myself back from watering it anymore until today where I've given it a nice deep watering. Not much has changed in terms of temperature or light since it's in the same location, and despite the neglect (except for me watering it and adding some organic fertiliser some months ago) it was actually doing pretty well before the transplant.

Is there anything I can do at this stage? Any chance it might bounce back or should I assume I'll have to replace it with another plant?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!