SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptsourkas

Aspidistra (Cast Iron plant) leaves turning yellow one by one

ptsourkas
9 years ago

I have an aspidistra that had been in the same pot for many years (5-6), and decided it was time to re-pot it because it wasn't growing. The pot was only half full, so I took out the plant, put in more dirt, and then put the plant back in. I made sure to use potting soil, though it seems very fine grained to me. When I put the plant back in, I noticed the old dirt around the rootball was practically as hard as concrete, so I tried to loosen it as much as I could using a small spade, stabbing the soil with it.

Several days later, I noticed 3 leaves had turned yellow. I read that they should be cut to prevent others from having the same fate, so I did that. All seemed well, but now, another healthy lead has started to turn yellow! I find this very alarming. There are only about 12 leave left.

Background: I had this plant for many years when I lived the Bay Area, where it was totally neglected, then in 2013 I moved to Las Vegas. The plant was doing just fine, until I had the bright idea to move it outside, where it got badly scorched. I cut off the scorched parts of those leaves (which is why they have that funny look), and to my delight the plant put out three new leaves (the ones in the foreground), which however did not grow to full size. This was last summer (2014). The plant has been totally stable since then, and the leaves turning yellow only started after I re-potted it.

What should I do? Is it because the soil doesn't drain well? Should I replace it coarse-grained soil? If so, should I use soil that has fertilizer in it? I read that aspidistras don't like to have their roots disturbed, so I am reluctant to disturb it again. Did I damage the roots while trying to loosen the dirt? How much water and light should I give it? It's in a west facing room, but in the afternoons I always close the blinds. It can get pretty warm in my apartment during the day, but last year the plant did fine. Regarding water, I don't keep track but it never seemed to need frequent watering. Lastly, should I cut off the yellowing leaf?

I really love this plant and it would break my heart to lose it. Thank you for any help.

Comments (24)