friends?

sukie

I'd sure like to meet some new people!!

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sole Mate

Sometimes we all feel the desire to bring new people into our lives. What inspired this particular post?

Save     Thanked by sukie
sukie

Being old and having my best friends die.

Save    
kittenherder

I'm sorry to hear that you've come to that age in your life where loved ones are passing away on a regular basis. That is one of the harder things about aging. Last year, I lost the last of my older relatives. That makes me one of the "older generation" in our family. Kind of sobering.

What part of the country do you live in? Do you live in a metropolitan area, a suburb, or a rural area?

1 Like Save    
sukie

I live right outside of Philadelphia PA, so a little of both metropolitan and suburban. Not rural, for sure! But at least you have a family!! I have only my brother living near me and he travels a good deal of the time and we never do anything together socially. My daughter and two grandchildren live three hour flight away. So, woe is me!!

1 Like Save    
sylviatexas2
Go where somebody needs you:
read to the kids at the library,
push the wheelchairs out to the parking lot when people are dismissed from the hospital,
tag items at the charity shops,
make coffee & hand out programs at church,
answer the phones at the pet shelter,
etc.

& if you find a good "fit", it'll lead to more interactions & relationships.
sukie

I do appreciate your comment. I already have 5 volunteer jobs!

Save    
jakkom

As one of my friends who is now 87 said, "We solved that problem. We went out and got younger friends!"

He and his wife are the models for DH and me. Terrific, vibrant, funny people.

Save    
sukie

That's what my parents did! They became friends with my old friends (I had left the area)

Save    
jennybog

Church is a great place to meet people!

1 Like Save     Thanked by sukie
eld6161

Since you already have five volunteer jobs, you need to make the first move. Invite someone to go for coffee or a walk.

Are there senior centers near you? People who congregate there usually want to be social.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sukie
Claire Lv

boring ,for fun or just feel lack something in your life.......

Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

I, too, have volunteer jobs and the time spent there is working, not socializing so nothing comes of it. I don't (and won't) go to church, so that is out. I just don't know where to go to meet people of like interests.

sukie

I never went to church before either, but out of desperation, have been going to the Unitarian Church. Haven't connected to anyone yet, although all are very welcoming and friendly. Most are married couples but I would be looking for someone who didn't have married responsibilities for travel, dinners, etc., male or female!

Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

Me, too, Sukie! Maybe we live near each other!

Save    
sukie

Probably not! I'm in Phila. Would be nice though....

Save    
PRO
Whitelacey

Ohio here. Close but not quite close enough!

Save    
sukie

Too bad! Good luck to us both!

Save    
twilliams115

I'm a male, 59, never married with no kids. I find it very difficult to get out and make friends. I've tried all of the places to go to in order to make friends. Volunteering, MeetUps, on-line dating, church, etc. Nothing worked.

I feel like people in general are not accepting to someone who is like me. I may have some forms of personality problems, I guess. I have met other guys who are single and around my age, but not many of them. They seemed very weird to me. Well, maybe I'm weird too. I know that I have quirks. Almost all of these guys I've met are totally inept socially; it's like they have some kind of mental disease of some kind. It didn't use to be like that when I was in my teens to 40s.

Right now I am considering moving out of my condo that I own. The people at my complex are not friendly towards me. I think that I'm the only one who lives alone in the whole place. I have been considering moving to a 55 + place (I had posted that on this web site). I only have one friend and he's 80 year old. He's dead-set against me making the move. What's stopping me from making the move is the high rents; compared to what I'm paying now.

I work at a job that I feel that it's a right fit for me. I get along very well with my fellow workers. But for some strange reason, I can't seem to get along well with my fellow neighbors. Funny thing is that I work at a place that's known for a lot of backbiting and backstabbing.

1 Like Save    
JoAnn_Fla

I realize this is a old post but everything is still so true. As twilliams115 just said... . I have tried everything with no luck at all. I think people just stick to themselves now. It's not like it used to be. I've been going to the same church for about 3 yrs and have only met the preachers and a few others. No one wants to get involved these days. I think I've decided to just go it alone. If you don't expect anything you won't be disappointed.

1 Like Save    
Susan Mandeville

I think you are right! I've noticed that too. Even my neighbors are not particularly friendly! I just joined match.com (talk about being desperate!)

1 Like Save    
twilliams115

Wow, I just clicked into the Single's part on Houzz, the Garden Web. I had totally forgotten that I had posted on here. This site seems pretty dead as hardly anyone posts.

It's been quite a while since I made that post. Nothing has changed for me since then to now. I'm still at my place and deciding if I want to move. It's amazing to me that it's been a few years that I have been considering making a leap from where I live. But I guess the longer I wait, the more money I will get when I decide to sell.

1 Like Save    
Susan Mandeville

I moved to a one story, two bedroom very manageable size house. Not sorry! Figuring that if I broke a leg, I could still get around.

Save    
kayjones

twilliams, everyone seems friendly on this site - contact some of us via our user name and I'm sure everyone will respond.

I once had a gentleman friend I met on here and we were close for almost a year. I went to his state to meet him, we got along great and he and I continued to converse online. He came to spend about a week with me and we enjoyed each other's company until he met his beautiful wife-to-be. I enjoyed our friendship very much.

Who knows - you might start a cyber friendship that will mean the world to you, too. I will always think fondly of my dear friend, Michael - he is no longer in my life in any way, but while we were connected cyber-friends, I enjoyed every minute.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Colorful Homes Houzz Tour: Color Brings a Family-Friendly Show House to Life
Apple green, salmon pink and bodacious blues dance through fabrics and furnishings in a Pennsylvania show house
Full Story
Yellow Tricky Yellow — Friend or Foe?
It might rev you up or wear you down. Learn what the experts have to say about using this complex color at home
Full Story
Modern Homes Houzz Tour: A Modern Loft Gets a Little Help From Some Friends
With DIY spirit and a talented network of designers and craftsmen, a family transforms their loft to prepare for a new arrival
Full Story
Man Spaces Basement of the Week: A Man Cave Goes Chic and Family Friendly
Renovations lighten up a dad's dark rec room and make space for guests and family
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Practical, Budget-Friendly Beauty in Dallas
One month and a $25,000 budget — see how a Texas homeowner modernized her kitchen beautifully working with those remodeling constraints
Full Story
Pets A Romp Through Pet-Friendly Materials
Deceptively durable, these stylish flooring materials and fabrics let you give Fluffy the run of the house
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Quick and Friendly Makeover for a Brooklyn Townhouse
An interior designer helps a close friend harmonize her love of midcentury modern and Asian styles
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: A Circle of Friends Turns a Dallas House Into a Home
Homeowners enlist help from friends to remodel, build an addition and decorate their home
Full Story