SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpalermo

How do I take back my garden from the WEEDS?

Matt (zone 7)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

A few years ago we bought a foreclosure home. Our garden is in the back on a hill. There are a few tiers made with rock walls (rocks are starting to fall in many places). The hill is overrun with weeds. Weeds all over the tiered beds, in between the rocks, on the stairs, all over the hillside. Weeds everywhere! Every year I till the hill as best I can (tough work on a hill and in tiered beds) which appears to give me a fresh start in my planting areas. However, when I plant seeds, weeds grow in along with them. It's tough to weed early, because I don't know what is a small weed or veggie sprout sometimes. So I wait until I can clearly identify what is a planted veggie and what isn't. By then the weeds have taken over again.

I've always just pulled weeds by hand and never used chemicals or homemade weed killer. But this is an insane amount of work in my garden and still doesn't seem very effective. This year I'd like to try spraying something for weed control to see if that does a better job. I've never used weed killer before (store bought or homemade), so I have a few questions and am looking for advice...

1. I haven't tilled the garden yet this year. Can I spray the entire hill with some sort of weed killer, then till the garden and still be able to plant seeds in the soil?

2. Would the seeds be killed by the weed killer in the tilled soil?

3. How long would I have to wait after spraying some sort of weed killer until I can plant veggie seeds into the same soil?

4. Assuming I can do the above: When my veggies start growing and new weeds popup later in the season, can I spray the weeds without killing my veggies?

5. How often should I re-apply the weed killer spray, just as needed, or spray the ground around the veggies every so often in anticipation of more weeds popping up?

6. Does the weed killer have any harmful effects on the veggies that I grow (i.e., will they still be safe for us to eat)?

7. Anyone have a good recommendation for a weed killing recipe that won't hurt the veggies?

8. I also have some fruit trees planted nearby. Can the weed killer be used near them without harming them?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I've been using this garden for about 4 years now and every year it gets harder and harder to control by hand. There are woods surrounding us, so all kinds of tree seeds and other things end up in the garden. We even have prickly vine-weeds (I believe they are Mile-A-Minute weeds) growing all over that try to wrap around and strangle all my plants.

Comments (16)