SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edwin_turlington

Evergreen Huckleberry, Greent Tea , suggestion for under window hedge

Bushwhacker Blood
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Today my Evergreen Huckleberries came in from raintree nursery. I planned on planting them in the front of my house under my living room window. I've attached pictures.

I havent tested the PH but I do have alot of acidic patches on my property, if not I will doctor the soil. I read that Evergreen huckleberries grow up to 15 feed in shade but around 3 feet in sunlight.

I live in a holler at the base of a wooded hill. The hill is 20 meters from the back (south side) of my house. The house faces the west. The sun doesnt hit my house directly until late morning usually and of course would take another hour at least to hit the west side (front) of my house where I would put the Huckleberries. They might get 4 hours of direct sun a day. By the time the sun gets up over the hill behind the house and makes its way over the house it doesnt take long before its behind the 20' pear trees 20 feet in front of the house.

I looked online for pictures of evergreen huckleberry hedges today and now I think maybe they will get too big for where I want to plant them .

I have a big space to the right of the window on the picture that shows the right side of my house that maybe could take a Huckleberry, but if I planted a huckleberry in that space (where there's no window) what do you suggest I plant under the window?

There's also a space on the right of the window in the picture that shows the left side of my house.

I don't want to prune my hedges (or anything) very much (except maybe the persimmon I planted this year to keep them at a manageable height)-

Can I get some advice on whether or not to plant huckleberries in front of my house and if there's another plant I can plant under the windows, what do you suggest? I prefer an evergreen edible.

I was also considering a Camellia sinensis hedge / shrub as I wuold like something evergreen. and they wouldnt grow as high as teh huckleberry.

Would Camellia sinensis hedge under the windows and huckleberry in front of the windowless spaces look good? Or maybe on the left side of the house (the top picture ) Camellia sinensis under the window and to the left of it and just huckleberry on the right side (second picture)

Any other

suggestions?

This second picture of the right side of the house has a big space for a bush. the bed in front of the house is three feet wide. That is big enough for either plant (green tea or huckleberry) isnt it? How far from the foundation would I plant either of the above trees (or any suggested tree)? I have tried to find the answer to his and the other questions prior to posting this.

Here's a picture of the huckleberry bush that made me reconsider putting it under a window.
http://garden.lovetoknow.com/huckleberry

Excuse the mess we bought the house a year ago as a foreclosure and it had been abandoned for years and we're still working on it.

Comments (9)